Indoor Portable Hot Tub?

svitko

Hi,

I received a Coleman Saluspa as a gift, live in Ohio.  I didn't want to wait till spring to try it out, so set it up in my garage/mancave.  My garage size is 2 car, heated, refinished with drywall which is painted with basic flat latex and has outdoor carpet.  Basic temp of my garage this time of year is around 55 degrees with 30% humidity.  I only use the spa for about 30 minutes at a time, when I run the spa the garage temp jumps to around 65 degrees with 65% humidity and the walls get a little condensation.  After using the spa I covered it back up and after about a hour the temp / humidity goes back to normal and condensation goes away.

Is this safe?  I have read about dry rot and other problems that can occur, but not sure if this would be the case using it like I am.  Will probably move it outdoors come spring.  Any input appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

For what you are doing you are fine. If you plan on moving it back in side next winter I would repaint with a bath or kitchen paint that has a mold inhibitor and consider installing an exhaust fan with a humidistat. If the garage was built and insulated properly it should have a vapor barrier to protect the framing from the increased humidity and should have adequate ventilation in the attic to protect roof.