Coming Up With a Natural-based Care Regime

clear_n_clean

Hi Everyone,

Doing some thinking about creating an effective care routine with minimal exposure to chemicals like chlorine, bromine, etc.

My thoughts so far:

1) ozone is a must

2) do a regular chlorine shock (weekly?), and then follow with sodium ascorbate (vitamin c that is pH neutral) which neutralizes chlorine.

3) between shocks, use h2o2 after each tub use to discourage bacterial growth.

Concerns:

1) as I understand it, chloramines cannot be eliminated without doing a breakpoint chlorination.

---Without eliminating chloramines,  vitamin C will break them into chlorine & ammonia. If the chlorine is eliminated by the vitamin C, that leaves ammonia, which could be a problem.

2) regular small doses of h2o2: as I understand it h2o2 is a highly alkaline substance, so this may require an additional component to stay within a proper pH range. I have not tested any of this yet, but would be open to thoughts about natural pH raising/lower agents.

In conclusion, I am a new spa owner and inexperienced with all of this. My goal is to not use the spa with residual chlorine/bromine or other chemicals.

I would love to know anyone's thoughtful feedback regarding this particular routine I have proposed. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BTW, the stuff in the pharmacy is 3% and not food grade.  It has stabilizers and other chemicals in it.  It is also not enough in size at that concentration.  

I don't find it dangerous.  It does burn a little, turns your fingers white for an hour or so, but not dangerous.  Just don't get it on your clothes unless they are white.  I also use it in the laundry.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for advice:  We seldom use our Jacuzzi Meridian Spa so adding bromine or chlorine daily is too much trouble. Consequently we neglect it and then have to drain and clean it before we can use it again. I am considering adding a silver/copper zinc ion generator and possibly an ozone generator if they would keep the water sterile and clear for months between uses. (NO bathers just months of filtration and ion generattio.)  That way when we want to use it we would just add the active sanitizer (probably chlorine or bromine) before hand to bring it up to a 1 or 2 ppm level.  I realize I'd still need to chek PH and TA and hardness, etc (I maintain our pool using a Taylor saturation index wheel) along and along but my main objective is to eliminate having to monitor bromine levels so often. 

Does anyone know if this would work?  I might forego the ozone in favor of a weekly non-chlorine shock since I'm concerned the ozone might destroy the vinyl on the pool cover and perhaps the o-rings in the unions and pump.

Also somewhere I read something that implied bromine might not work with an ion generator.  Is that true?  We use chlorine in the pool but have always used bromine in the Jacuzzi.

I'd probably use Chlorox if I must use chlorine but again only when we plan to use it and right after.  I am forced to use granular chlorine (calcium hypochlorite) in the pool as we don't have a local source for liquid chlorine at a reasonable cost for a 30K gallon pool and therefore have constantly rising hardness.  Either that or dichlor and constantly rising cyanuric acid.  I wish the Jacuzzi and pool were connected since I find it pretty easy to maintain the pool water but they are separate.

Thanks for sharing any information.