dead 2010 hotsprings vanguard

HighDefDad

Please Help! I have a 2010 Hotsprings Vanguard. I think the control panel has died. American sales replaced the control panel in 2014. I checked online, but the panel is discontinued. I called American sales and was told I would have to change the IQ control box to get the new control panel. (Some background) I cracked the thermistors when cleaning corrosion out of the lines over the summer. The replacements I received gave me a little trouble at first, but started working like the old plastic ones after a couple days. The ozonator stopped making bubbles about a month ago, and has completely stopped working now. The control box has a green led next to the BUS STATUS, but has a red led next to the CONTROL UNPLUGGED. The control panel will light on a power cycle, and do a goofy screen rollover. This happens for a couple minutes, and then the screen displays PROTECTION MODE! I removed the filters just in case it was a filter issue, but that did not resolve the PROTECTION MODE! display. The circulation pump is still circulating the water enough that I can see some cavitation in the surface of the water. The control panel does not give any response to any button I push. If someone could guide me to where I can get used parts or have an easy solution, I am all ears. American sales wants $800 for the parts to possibly fix the spa. Unfortunately I am not able to come up with that kind of money. My next step is going to have to be the winterizing process, since there is still another possible month of freezing temps ahead. **I have the serial number and part numbers of what is in the spa currently, but wasn't sure if I should post that info.

I disconnected the heater from the circuit board and connected it directly to the 30amp 220ac  in order to try and make it through this cold snap without having to winterize the spa. All lights are green on the iq controll board, and I was able to start the jets from the main control, but had to use the aux control to turn the jets off. Not sure if the heater is heating the spa yet. Used a ring tong to verify the heater had voltage going to it. Will update if the heater is working to bring the temp back up. If so I will just manually operate the heater for the time being.

The control panel plug is the phone style connector. Why they would have discontinued that makes no sense. Everything now days uses an rj45 connector. I don’t think anything is clogged in the line. I was able to pull the hose apart and blow air through it. I’ll pull it apart later this am to confirm nothing blocking flow. Thank you for the advice.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2018 at 12:29 AM, Jersey Hot Tub Repair said:

One trick with Hotsprings spas is to disconnect the Auxilliary Control panel from the spa pack.  Sometimes the Aux panel goes nuts and stops the rest of the spa from operating correctly.

Dave

Hi Dave,  can you shed some more light on this comment as it is exactly how my 2003 Sovereign is behaving. If I connect the aux control panel the heater will not run .  Disconnect the aux panel and the heater works fine.

cheers

Dave