Jet cleaning, removal, repair

afaucher8789

I have a South Seas Spa by Artesian Spas. Per the owners manual I am to drain the water, replace the filter, clean the head rests, and clean the jets with a water/white vinegar mixture every 3 months. I have been doing this since installing the tub in March of 2016. Unfortunately, against my best efforts, the jets are still building up with, what I assume to be, sand and calcium causing them to not be able to be turned on or off easily, if at all. 

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on if the jets can be removed like other brand spas by turning off plus a quarter turn or if it's something different. If so, that doesn't help with the fact that some are stuck open. 

Any help is appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like your jets are getting clogged by salts, which is usually a symptom of too much chlorine or bromine.  The best long term solution is to stop using those chemicals for disinfection.

Artesian doesn't make the jets.  About 95% of hot tubs use jets that are, for the most part, made by either CMP, Waterway or Balboa.   The only proprietary jets I've seen are in Jacuzzi, Sundance and a couple of cheap Made in China internet hot tubs.

Jets for the most part can be removed, although as they get stuck in place, it becomes more and more frustrating to get them out.   I've used screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, reverse pliers, hooks and vice grips to get the suckers out.  Be careful you don't crack the housing they are installed into, or you'[re going to have to replace the entire assembly. If they aren't coming out easily, they're probably going to break when you pull them out.  The good news is that for the most part, jets are relatively inexpensive. 

Dave

Based on what I am reading you may find that using a hot tub plumbing and jet cleaner will help you out.  It will be quick and easy and best of all, it will get any bio-fouling gunk out of the system so your water will look spectacular and you will use far less sanitizer to do the job.

We have seen cases where hot tub fountains were so clogged that they wouldn’t allow water to shoot up.  After a good “plumbing and jet purge” it was like a new tub.  Hope this helps.