1st time owner buying Caldera Geneva

S2k4Str

I've been reading helpful threads on this forum for years (well, just slightly over 1 year) now, and we've decided to "take the plunge" (pun totally intended) on a 2017 Caldera Geneva. 

Based on the feedback I've read here and on other forums, we did a wet test, and I like the dealer. There's another Marquis dealer nearby who did not give me as much confidence as the Caldera/Hot Springs dealer, and would not let us wet test the tub we were most interested in. I'm not sure if the Caldera dealer would have let us wet test whatever we wanted, but it wasn't an issue - the Geneva was already filled up and ready to go. We also tried a Grandee NXT, but the Caldera was clearly the winner.

In terms of negotiating, we wanted to stay around the 10-11 mark if possible (we could go up, but that's around what the Marquis dealer quoted for the tub we thought we'd be buying, so that's where our budget was at). Given that the Geneva is a more expensive tub than we were at first considering, my fiancee drove a cash bargain and we've got a quote from the dealer of ~11000 for the 2017 floor model if delivered within 45 days (with all the normal included stuff - cover, lifter, steps, first chemicals, delivery). I feel pretty good about this. I've feel really good if I can get them to throw in a new filter and agree to do a cleaning cycle for us before delivery.

A couple of things I'm looking for guidance on:

1. Does it sound like we're doing things right so far? Any suggestions, pitfalls to watch for?
  2. The Caldera offers the inline Frog - I can choose either @ease chlorine or the "old" bromine system. Recommendations for a newbie at pool chemistry?

I also want to sincerely thank everyone who participates on this forum. Based on the threads here, I was able to pretty quickly narrow down my list of candidates to Marquis, Caldera/Hot Springs, and Artesian :). 

They should either give you the filter that is in it + a new filter, or just a new filter.  When I sell filled floor models, I put new filters in them.  I don't do a purge type cleaning, but I do thoroughly sanitize the hot tub before draining and make it as clean as possible.  I think it's common courtesy.  

As for price, $11,000, that is a good price.  If that is all in, with tax, then even better.  As for the in-line sanitation, probably 90% of the spas I sell go with @ease due to the general disliked smell of bromine.  Now, if the smell of bromine doesn't bother you, I would do bromine.  The Caldera bromine cartridges (purple color) hold more bromine and tend to last a little longer than the standard bromine cartridges (yellow color).  I also find that the purple bromine cartridges last on average 4-7 days longer than the @ease cartridges due to there being more bromine than SmartChlor but also that bromine doesn't dissipate as quickly in warm water.  Ask to smell some bromine tabs at the dealer so you know what bromine smells like.  That may make your decision for you.  If you do go the bromine route, make sure to use either the purple bromine cartridges made for Caldera or the green bromine cartridges made for Marquis.  They last longer and work better on the inline system than the standard yellow bromine cartridges.

On a side note, what made the Geneva a clear winner for you over the Grandee NXT?  Also, what Marquis were you looking at?  I'm just curious as I sell Hot Spring and Caldera, but until last year sold Marquis.

Thank you castletonia! :D Appreciate the thorough answer and the time it took to post that. 

Why we liked the Geneva over the Grandee:

• Wet test - overall comfort and placement/type of jets. We both sat in the Grandee first and were like, "eh, it's ok". If there hadn't been a Geneva there, I think it would have been alright, but didn't wow us - we both sat in the Geneva and did not want to get out. We also wanted a lounger. My husband has a neck injury and the corner seat in the Geneva with the above water line jets really worked (and the pillow that propped his head up).
  • Tall people problems - we're both tall (around 6') and the fit on the Geneva is good - the Grandee isn't bad, but didn't leave that "wow, I don't ever want to get out of this tub" impression that the Geneva did.
  • Style - we both liked the modern look of the Geneva (which surprised us both).
  • Price - see features not needed below. Geneva felt like we were paying for what we wanted (lounger, long warranty), getting a little extra that we'd actually use (speakers), but nothing that we weren't likely to use

What they were even on:

• Fit, finish, quality of build - both seemed very good.
  • Dealer - same dealer, who has extremely good (and plentiful) reviews. Seems to be a higher volume dealer, versus the Marquis dealer (though it's hard to tell), which makes me feel better about the level of support we're likely to receive.
  • Unsure of this - the dual nature of the wiring in the Caldera made my engineer hubby happy - he likes the idea that if the heater fails, the tub will still circulate water (we live in a cold climate)

What was cool but didn't really sell us:

• NXT features like the wireless control - neat, but not needed. Felt like we'd be paying more for things that weren't necessary to us.

What Marquis we were considering:

• The Resort - thought we liked the lounger/Adirondack setup, but I discovered on Saturday I'm a "floater" ... and the neck pillow on the Geneva anchors me, plus there's a spot for my feet in the lounger where I can hold myself down. I'm concerned I'll float right out of the Marquis!
  • The Wish - liked the hip and wrist jets (I have hip problems and a metal plate in my wrist from a bad break years ago) - but the Geneva has both of these. The Wish is a 5 person, too, so the Geneva is superior in that respect. (Also, the Marquis dealer only has this in a color combo I don't think I will like - ordering it will drive up the price).

Why we aren't going to go Marquis:

• Dealer, dealer, dealer - got a good feeling from the Hot Springs/Caldera dealer and they were extremely accommodating. Let us wet test at the end of the day on a Saturday and said they were willing to fill tubs if we wanted. Stayed late and did not push us. Negotiated clearly - hubby drives a hard bargain and they were polite and fair.
  • Can't wet test the Marquis. I'm even unsure if the dealer would unwrap the Resort (which is in their warehouse) to even let us sit in it. I'm even afraid to ask, they've been so unaccommodating so far. That makes me afraid of having to deal with them over warranty issues, which is not what I want. (Hubby handles negotiation and anything that slightly smells like confrontation, I'm frankly afraid of head-to-head confrontation - I do enough of that in my day job, I don't need to do it when dropping 10-15K on a discretionary expense!) I usually look for customer service that is friendly versus someone I have to fight with, and give those folks my (repeat) business.
  • We're getting what feels like a really good deal on a 6 person tub (versus a 5) - one more seat feels useful

Sorry about the long answer, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have, since you've answered mine with such consideration :).

Edited by S2k4Str
Rewording

A lot of your reasons for liking the Caldera are valid.  I'm not a huge fan of above the water neck jets because if the seat doesn't fit you right, then they are just annoying and splash you in the face.  Excluding the front seat on the Caldera Niagara, which in my opinion is too short, the neck jets fit me good and I have had positive feedback from customers.  Hot Spring and Caldera have distinct differences in therapy.  Caldera I think has more power, more jets, much different style jets than Hot Spring, and the seating is more sculpted.  Hot Spring has the Moto-Massage, are more open concept, and to me have less power so that you could sit in front of the jets as long as you want without having to move.  It's a personal opinion which you prefer.  

I really like the look of the Utopia series from Caldera, probably more so than anything I have seen elsewhere.  I'm not going to say having the wireless touch screen is not gimmicky at all, but I do feel that the way electronics are evolving, touch screens will be the norm in 5-10 years.  Hot Spring is just early to the party.

The Resort is a nice hot tub.  I sat in our floor model many times at my previous job.  I did float in the lounge on the resort when I had the HK40 low back jets on in the lounge.  The adirondack chair is really nice, but some find it too deep.  I never personally sat in or saw the Wish, so no comment on that model.  

You have found out first hand why the dealer is important.  You can take a quality brand like Marquis and from how it sounds, even if it was the product for you, you would be hesitant to buy because of the dealer and possible future concerns.  

You have found a great hot tub in the Geneva and are getting a good price.  Happy hot tubbing!

• 2 weeks later...