Artesian Spa panel says Pr / Whats the black device near heater

chazz

While out of town my wife said tub shut down and showed Pr on control panel. I bled both pumps (two plugs on each pump) reset and powered up. Good flow from both pumps but after 5-7 min the system shuts down and panel says Pr again. I bled a couple of times with same result. Is this indication of a sensor failure? Where is the sensor (I assume it is a flow sensor) for this system located?

As far as I can tell (I am new owner to this spa) water enters heater from foot well and then is circulated back to tub. Is the small black device (see attached photo 4" in diameter and about same length) on outlet side of heater tube a smaller circulating pump for the heated water? As far as I can see the therapy pump water flow is isolated from the heater water flow system.

IMAG1654 (Small).jpg

That is a 24 hour circulation pump.  Unless that pump is there just for Artesian to say they have a circulation pump, then that pump is what pushes water through your heater, possibly ozone, and one of the filters in your hot tub.  If it fails, or flow gets restricted then the hot tub will not heat.

Artesian uses Balboa electronics and if I remember correctly, "Pr" is what is displayed right after the hot tub is powered up and should go away within 3-5 minutes.  It is a priming mode.  If the water level is low or filters are dirty, then that could restrict flow, but you should have a different code.

Sounds to me like you may have something wrong with the board in the pack or power to the spa.  Watch the spa and see if the spa reboots.  Castletonia is correct "Pr" stands for Priming Mode this is shown for 4 minutes whenever the spa powers on.  If you were losing power to the spa this would cause the system reset.  If you do not lose power to the spa and the systems just reboots on it's own, it is probably something not right with the power to the spa itself (Loose wire or something of the sort) or the board has a problem and is rebooting.

Thanks for the reply's

Well I think I have it sorted out. Checked all systems and found no water entering tub (in foot well ) at outlet for circulating pump. Voltage test on heater lugs shows circuit open (no voltage) at start up of therapy pump which also feeds heater and then circulating pump. After 2-3 min relay closes and voltage at heater shows 220v a short time later (1 min or so) relay drops out voltage drops to zero and tub shuts down. 

DIAGNOSIS: Bad circulating pump.

From what I know the two sensors on the heater tube detect temp and flow. Difference of temp or pressure between the two shuts tub down. In my case there is insufficient flow or out of spec temp difference between the two causing fault.

Comments?