UTI's and Frog @Ease Chlorine System

newguy2017

Help! My wife has TWICE gotten a bladder infection concurrent with about five-weeks-into the chlorine @Ease frog system's water in our Marquis tub. Coincidence? I've been shocking it -- with chlorine -- in small amounts WEEKLY, I've been cleaning the filters AND trying to bring down the PH and alkalinity (still a bit high) AND we have hard/high calcium water.  We wash/shower meticulously to be squeaky clean before we use it -- we are THE ONLY two to use it -- and I'm mystified. Is it related to under-chlorination? Despite the Frog @ease cartridge system saying we DON'T have to worry about a thing?

Do I have to shock it with chlorine before use each time?

Switch to non-chlorine instead? (MPS?)

Ditch the frog @ease system entirely?! 

I want it to be safe and fun for my wife, NOT a worry. Please help!?

Do a “Purge” of the bio-contaminants that are colonized inside the plumbing.  Using an effective cleaner will clean out all the nasties.  These guys are contributors to her UTI’s in most cases.

You may find the thread below helpful. To insure proper chlorination you will need to test chlorine daily with a drop test kit (not strips). Each situation is different. After you establish your chlorine need you can test less frequently.

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18706-chlorine-demand/

The problem with the frog system is it uses dichlor that increases your CYA. Over time it will get to high and greatly increase the amount of chlorine needed. The thread below will help explain this interaction.

MPS will help reduce this problem but it is not a sanitizer so you will still need to make sure you are maintaining a proper sanitizer level. Without testing daily there is no way to know.