More on water loss in very cold temperatures

kevinem

Hey, I thought I would resurrect this topic to see if there are any new experiences with water loss during winter months.  We have an Arctic Spa and live in Canada and it does get cold here.  We've had some very cold weeks of weather but that said, it seems to me we were losing water at a similar rate when it was slightly warmer.  I had read on a separate thread where one fellow said he was losing about 3 inches ever couple of weeks.  This seems to be close to what we are losing.  We aren't using our tub more than every other day and there are only two of us.  I realize we lose water every time we get out but again, that shouldn't amount to much given the few times we're using it these days.  I have checked inside the tub with all pumps on and can't see any leaks and no standing water in the tub itself.  

Are any of you experiencing similar loss during colder winter temps?

Likely you have a leak, leaking to underneath and you can't see it.  I've had this happen on my '88 spa.  So since I've also been unable to pinpoint the leak, I've used leak seal chemical, and it has worked for me.  https://www.spadepot.com/Seal-a-Leak-Spa-Leak-Sealer-16oz-P790

Seal-A-Leak states "Seal-a-Leak for hot tubs is the most effective spa leak sealer you can buy. Permanently seals plumbing leaks, repairs shell cracks, and holes up to 1/8" diameter. Concentrated Seal-a- Leak surpasses other leak sealers requiring up to an entire bottle dosage. Compare to Marlig Fix-a-Leak, Leisure Time Leak Seal. Seal-a-Leak is your best buy. Keep a spare bottle on hand.

• Highly concentrated formula
  • Dosage - only 1 oz. per 500 gallons
  • Large 16 oz. bottle

Hey Cusser...thx VERY much for this info!  I'll definitely be looking into this regardless of what else I hear from others.  Indeed, it does sound like a leak but I wasn't sure why I wouldn't see water in the bottom of the tub cavity.  Unless it found a hole in the base (all plastic) through which to escape.  I did read the reviews on the product and they are mixed but with enough folks having great success (like yourself) to warrant the attempt.  Thx again!  :o)

My spa is up against my home, block wall, about 8" away.  I've searched a zillion times for leakage inside the equipment door side, nothing.  I've even taken the redwood panels off the two remaining accessible sides and dug out sprayed-in insulation to try to find a leak or mold evidence, nothing.  When it leaks, I can see moisture on the patio slab; I'm more concerned with water-degrading the redwood or the patio than I am with the actual water loss.

I'm not so sure that the spa would still be working and usable without leak seal chemical.  I have not determined on mine whether the leak is somewhere in the plumbing or in the basin itself; there are some minor cracks in the water side of the basin, but spa is 29 years old.  I might try some marine epoxy on those next time I drain to clean the spa, in case one of those is the source.

Anyway, I add some when necessary AFTER removing the spa filter.  Then I run as per instructions with jets on.  Then I drain water and add fresh, and clean/replace the filter.  So just follow instructions.

Thx for the extra info...much appreciated.  This tub is only 5 years old (just off warranty) so I'm not really expecting problems with the tub structure itself...plumbing perhaps.  As well, the main #1 pump (that does all the circulating/heating) has been replaced this past year (on warranty, thankfully) but perhaps a leak as a result of the installation.  I'll check more carefully there.  Right now, it's super cold here (-29C) so won't be doing any further checking till it warms up.  Either way, I'll be ordering the product you've used and cross my fingers....thx again Cusser...  :o)

Definitely check the new pump connections.  If the pump shaft seal is leaking (unlikely with a new pump) that should be covered by the new pump warranty; and leak seal won't seal a pump shaft seal.

Pump shaft seals are relatively easy to replace though; I've done my spa pump seal once and my above-ground pool pump seal once as well.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, Cusser said:

Likely you have a leak, leaking to underneath and you can't see it.  I've had this happen on my '88 spa.  So since I've also been unable to pinpoint the leak, I've used leak seal chemical, and it has worked for me.  https://www.spadepot.com/Seal-a-Leak-Spa-Leak-Sealer-16oz-P790

Seal-A-Leak states "Seal-a-Leak for hot tubs is the most effective spa leak sealer you can buy. Permanently seals plumbing leaks, repairs shell cracks, and holes up to 1/8" diameter. Concentrated Seal-a- Leak surpasses other leak sealers requiring up to an entire bottle dosage. Compare to Marlig Fix-a-Leak, Leisure Time Leak Seal. Seal-a-Leak is your best buy. Keep a spare bottle on hand.

• Highly concentrated formula
  • Dosage - only 1 oz. per 500 gallons
  • Large 16 oz. bottle

On 1/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, kevinem said:

Hey, I thought I would resurrect this topic to see if there are any new experiences with water loss during winter months.  We have an Arctic Spa and live in Canada and it does get cold here.  We've had some very cold weeks of weather but that said, it seems to me we were losing water at a similar rate when it was slightly warmer.  I had read on a separate thread where one fellow said he was losing about 3 inches ever couple of weeks.  This seems to be close to what we are losing.  We aren't using our tub more than every other day and there are only two of us.  I realize we lose water every time we get out but again, that shouldn't amount to much given the few times we're using it these days.  I have checked inside the tub with all pumps on and can't see any leaks and no standing water in the tub itself.  

Are any of you experiencing similar loss during colder winter temps?

33 minutes ago, Cusser said:

Definitely check the new pump connections.  If the pump shaft seal is leaking (unlikely with a new pump) that should be covered by the new pump warranty; and leak seal won't seal a pump shaft seal.

Pump shaft seals are relatively easy to replace though; I've done my spa pump seal once and my above-ground pool pump seal once as well.

33 minutes ago, Cusser said:

Thank you much, Cusser...all very helpful and appreciated.  :o)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...