Blue Ridge Spa by Jacuzzi

Bradylr15

I recently purchased a home that came with a Blue Ridge Spa. I believe it sat nearly empty for about 2 years. I had to replace the shutoff just to get power to it. I filled it up, and to my surprise, the heater and pump worked great. However, the jets didn’t come on. Pulled the jet pump off and tested it and it works. Turns out, almost all of the hoses from the manifold to the jets, are clogged, probably with the biofilm of the previous owners. Gross! 

So, this means replacing all of the hoses I guess. Am I crazy for wanting to do this? Is it way more difficult than I imagine? I do have some plumbing experience but wouldn’t call myself an expert. 

Also, should i just buy all new hose, or should I take the existing hoses off, try to clear it, and then reuse it? 

Thanks!

You can’t remove hoses and reuse unless there was extra length to begin with.  Everything is glued.  I have a hard time believing the hoses are plugged.  In 17 years, never seen that.  If the pump powers on and actually spins the impeller, it’s more likely that the pump is air locked and or the jets could have been turned to the closed position.

The hoses are clear, so I can actually see the blockage throughout the hoses. There are spaces in the hose where I can see right through it clear as day, but towards the middle section of the hoses, you can see crud and junk impacting the hose for 2-3 feet or more. Also, it appears that my spa has barbed ends and clamps on all the fittings. Maybe they are still glued but I don't see any blue or red glue on the ends.

Castletonia is right.  With the pumps running, loosen the coupling to the 2" pipes (some tubs have 1.5" pipes).  You'll probably hear air escaping for a moment, followed by water.  Your jets will then begin to work.

I would give a good bleach treatment to the water just because you're going to have all kinds of crap in it after sitting for two years.  Add a quart of bleach, run all jets for about ten minutes, than drain the tub, clean it out with a sponge with bleach solution, then refill.

Give it a good dichlor shock treatment.  I don't know where you live so I don't know how long it will take to heat up, but give it a good 24 hours so the chlorine dissipates before you get into it.

Dave