Spa Perfect

AngelC

We are new hot tub owners. We have drained and refilled our hot tub 2x’s since we moved in in October. Both times we did a spa purge on the water prior to draining. The last water change was 2 weeks ago at which time we changed the filters. The chemicals are perfectly balanced and we use it anywhere from 2-4 time per week. Our local chemical store recommended we use Spa Perfect once a week. This morning after adding it last night I woke up to tan/Brown gunk clinging to the sides and floating on the water. Prior to adding the Spa Perdext last night our water looked, felt, and smelled normal (very clear and no foam). The chemicals were and still are perfectly balanced. What would cause this gunk to form? Is it a reaction from the Spa Perfect formula? I did figure out that I didn’t follow directions completely and added shock at the same time but I can not even find any information that this might me the reaction it could cause. Someone suggested that it could be the metals are high? I’m so confused and scared to add the Spa Perfect again per the directions. 

If you maintain your water correctly you don't  need a product like that (clarifier). It's just a way for stores to sell you more product. In this case it sounds like it created a problem that wasn't there before. By the way, most people don't change their water more than once every 3 to 4 months. Shocking is not needed if you keep your sanitizer at the correct level.

Right, since we are newbies at this we thought the inability to get the chemicals balanced and the foam meant we needed to change the water the second time.  I fought with the chemicals for a month straight before we decided to drain it. We were unsure of what chemicals the previous homeowners were using as they left all kinds of chemicals and the fact it wasn’t our hot tub to begin with warranted the first water change. What should a weekly and monthly maintenance look like? 

Most people on this site use the dichlor then bleach method outlined here:

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23090-dichlorbleach-method-in-a-nutshell/

It is now recommended to use Ah-some instead of spa purge. Most people seem to change their water every 3 to 4 months. Since your tub is used I would do an Ahh-some purge ASAP.

Here is a link to a great tool for figuring out your chemical doses:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html