Help in getting hot tub water balanced.

edteach

I have never owned a hot tub before. We bought a home that had a HT set up in the back yard. Its an @home tub. I had a company come out and drain and refill it. He put in three tablets of bromine and about a half a cup of bromine loose from a bromine jug. He told me to put in about a table spoon of bromine every-time I use the tub.  I don't think that is keeping up. My test strips doe not register anything on when I test the water. I have a Milwaukee PH tester meter and it showed very low PH. I put in PH up to bring it to about 7.5. I also put in some Alkali up  and Bromine to bring that up. Any help so I can get an understanding of how to moderate my water. It started to get a bit of dirty sock smell. 

If the spa guy did not use a flush before it was drained and refilled you probably have whatever leftover gunk is in the plumbing from failure to keep clean or maintain the water by previous owner.Get some Ahh-Some, use as directed, maybe twice. You will likely see all kinds of crud come out into the water, called biofilm. Then refill and balance the water. Try a sample in a clean gallon container of your tap or other source water for the fill before you start adding things. You should be able to see if your source water is pH neutral or other, also alkalinity and hardness. Balance according to the good advice in the Forum on Spa water section. Do some research and follow the good advice of the chemists and pros. It will pay off. Maybe you also want to call the company that did the so-called service for you and ask why they did not flush before the drain. Then, on general principles if it were me, I would discontinue their antics in your backyard. They did you no service if they did not clean it out before draining. Nobody could know what was left in that water but everyone should suspect and they should know better. Hope they didn't charge you, or much. Whatever it was it does not sound like it was worth it. Again,go into the Forum section on Spa Water Chemistry and get sound advice.