02 Sundance Optima flow problems

Johngallian

My Sundance Optima started giving me flow problems a couple weeks ago. I just took out the filters .unscrewed all the intakes , no obstructions. When I turn the power off and refire it ,the single speed pump would fire up for a second, shut off, fire backup  and shut off and fire up again and stay on for 20 minutes. Then it would shut all off and start all over again.. I would not be able to turn the pump on.. somebody advise me on changing the board or top side panel. In the meantime I would have heat and the circulation pump would turn on.. well not anymore now I just have flow 2 on the screen. no pumps ,no heat will turn on

FLO2 is a Sundance error condition.  When powering up, the spa is measuring continuity across the flow switch.  However, since it's just starting up and the pump isn't running, there should be no flow, and therefore no continuity.  The spa thinks the flow switch is stuck in the closed position (and it probably is.)

Replace the flow switch.  99% of the time, that's the problem.  The other 1% it's the circuit board.

You can also test it to verify. 

Power down the spa at the breaker.

Cut the wire connecting the flow switch to the control board, but do it outside the circuit box.  There should be plenty of play in the wire.  This is a 12volt DC wire, so it's safe to handle.

The flow switch has two wires inside a sheath.  Strip the ends of the wires.  Twist the two red ends together, but leave the black disconnected.   Now, power up the spa.  Immediately, twist the black wires together. 

Your spa will see no flow switch continuity on startup, then it will see continuity, and you should trick it into turning on.  If that works, the problem is definitely the flow switch.

Dave