Where To Buy Non-Stabilized Chlorine??

PinkFloydEffect

I would much rather control my CYA/stabilizer independently, and I am having a hard time finding chlorine in a non-stabilized form other than liquid chlorine for shocking. 

Still trying to dial-in my spa with the way I use it, and finding a method of sanitation that works for me. I chose to go with chlorine, but am having a hard time keeping a stable level of chlorine at all times. I started adding chlorine after I use it, and that is helping keep a few ppm until I use it the following day. The problem is my stabilizer is off the charts @ over 300+ ppm! This is bad, from my understanding it makes the chlorine much less effective at high levels. From my research 30-50ppm CYA is a good level. I know what is happening....I keep adding granulated stabilized chlorine. I keep my spa covered when not in use, and it only gets used at night with no UV penetration.

I need to start using non-stabilized chlorine. So I purchased a 1" floating puck/tab dispenser but I can not find non-stabilized puck/tabs now. For me a dispenser makes sense if I keep an eye on it but now it seems like it may not be a good idea seeing how they do not seem to make non-stabilized pucks/tabs. This leaves me with a few options that I can think of, keep searching for a non-stabilized granular chlorine or one with the lowest CYA level, or start using liquid chlorine or bleach. What should I do?

There is no puck chlorine that doesn't contain stabilizer. This is a shame because it's so easy and affordable. 

Use bleach/ liquid chlorine (same thing). You just add bleach after use instead of dichlor. Use dichlor initially until you get to about 40 ppm CYA. Then switch to bleach. If you want something automated use a salt system or a liquid chlorine pump. These cost around $150 to $300. I use a pump that maintains a base level. Then add a small amount of bleach after use. If I don't use the tub the pump will maintain an adequate level.

Thank you

I did research all afternoon and I do see people using the same pump I use on my reef tank for dosing a baseline of liquid chlorine.

I have to ask is it okay to not use dichlor at all when starting a new tub, use liquid chlorine from day 1 and just add stabilizer myself separately? I buy sodium hydrogen carbonate stabilizer in large bags for my pool already.

I decided to try using 1" 99% Trichloro slow dissolving tabs in a floating dispenser, dialed down to the lowest setting and I will see if I can use that just for maintaining the baseline chlorine level between uses or when not in use. Then for actually using the tub I will use liquid chlorine, I will get a measurement down for how much to add per person per use, per hour. Eventually I may switch from a baseline Trichloro dispenser to a baseline liquid chlorine dispenser in-line with my heater and ozone generator which both come from the floor of the tub. If I am able to keep my CYA level below 50ppm for 4 months using the Trichloro dispenser dialed way down I may just use that and never convert to a liquid chlorine dispenser.