Hum on High but still flows at low..

Todmet

Hello,

I have a
Marquis Rendezvous my Aunt bought new in 2009 and gave me when she moved last summer.
The tub worked great till a few days ago. It will heat up and run at low speed just fine, but when I push the switch to turn it to high the motor hums but still seems to pump in low speed still and does not trip the breaker.
I tested the cap in the Emerson Cat.No. – 9352-3353 Model - C55SWGYA-3860 motor and was fine. The board is a LZR1UR1A
Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
Tod

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the original pump, or has someone recently replaced it?

The way a hot tub pump is wired,  you should not be able to get both high speed and low speed running simultaneously.  Usually, the common (white) wire is always hot, and the black and red wires are switched on, depending if you are calling for low speed or high speed. 

If I hear humming when calling for high speed, it would make me think the motor is seized.  But the fact that it is still running in low speed doesn't make any sense, since that circuit should be disabled.

Can you use a voltmeter to test the connector on the circuit board to see what the voltage is in the two different states?  Usually, you can push the meter leads into the back of the AMP connectors when they are installed.and operating.  Generally, you'd expect to see 120V across white and black on low speed and zero between white and red.  On high speed, you should see 120V across white and red, and zero between black and red.

Sometimes a repairman will mix up the wires and use red for low and black for high.  But the point is you should see zero on the unused pair.

Some of the pumps I've seen have a mechanical switch that selects between high speed and low speed.  It's usually right near the back of the motor by the shaft.  I suppose It is possible that that switch is bad, the pump is just staying in low speed, and the humming is the switch trying to move to select high speed.

Dave