Is hyper-bromination really necessary?

cmh

Want to be taking a scientific approach to water maintenance within my knowledge base. I am using a 3-part bromine chemistry. Part 1 is 35% sodium bromide (liquid). For part 2 I was using Potassium MPS, but the powder available here is weak (32%), and I realized I could be using cheap bleach to wake up the bromine after each soak, so now using bleach. Part 3 is brominating tablets (65% bromine/ 28.95% chlorine) in a float feeder, which I set to keep levels constant around 4 ppm total bromine when the tub is not in use. I am checking the levels with a Taylor FAS-DPD bromine test kit.

My question is whether I need to be hyperbrominating the tub weekly?

I understand that, in chlorine chemistry, a distinction is needed between free available chlorine and combined chlorine. Combined chlorine is not an effective sanitizer. Therefore, regular superchlorination is needed to break down combined chlorine back into free available chlorine and the cycle continues.

However, I understand that combined bromine compounds are effective sanitizers. Therefore, it sounds like hyperbromination is not needed. As well, a certain amount of fresh sodium bromide is added each week, and my understanding is that this should ensure new free bromine becomes available anyway. 

Hyperbromination puts the tub out of use for at least 24-36h while the levels come down again. This limits our use of the tub, and I do not want to do it if not really necessary, or do it less frequently. 

I am wondering if hyperbromination is really needed? And if it is needed, whether it is really needed once a week.

----

p.s. I have not used the word "shock" above because there is clear confusion online between products that raise chlorine/bromine levels (I bought shock at the store today and added a little shock to the tub after my soak) and hyperchlorination/hyperbromination (once a week I shock my tub up to 20 ppm bromine).