Repair from Hades

Tackleberry

I have a 2005 Elite by Maax 90x90 tub. I was in it last night when Jet 1 and the heat suddenly kicked off and the display threw a 3 blinking dots error code. After attempting to reset it a few times and hearing the pump sound abnormal I took off the side panel and video'd the sound of it for my dealer. Showed them and they said it sounds like a bad impeller, take the pump off, bring it here and we'll troubleshoot and fix it. Now heres where the fun started...

First I unbolted the pump from its base, only to realize that there is no room to remove it from the base due to the proximity to the tub bottom, I had to remove the base as well. Turns out the base is screwed in with a screw head that ive never seen before. Ultimately I was able to unscrew them with a flathead. Then, he told me to cut the primer tube off, plug it and they'll rework it so I can hook it back up. That went mostly smooth other than taking a few tries to plug it. Next was to unscrew the hose fitting from the heat exchanger. Went smoothly. Now here's where the real fun starts. The other hose fitting is under the tuband facing away from the side panel. I tried for the longest time to budge it by hand without success. I went to the neighbor to borrow a pipe wrench and large channel locks but they were too large to get a bite or any leverage. My father in law brought over a PVC fitting wrench but it was too small to fit it. Meanwhile, my hands are getting torn up and the edge of the cabinet is digging painfully into my side as I attempt to contort myself to get enough hand torque on it. I finally give up and go to Home Depot to find a solution, which in the end turns out to be a strap wrench. After a lot of trial and error I finally get the wrench on there the right way and it busts the fitting loose. This is about 315, after starting somewhere around 11am. 

If youre still with me, i'm finally at the point where I get to my question. As I slid the pump out, it must have caught on some vinyl tubing and broke the tubing clean in half. So now I have two problems. The pump is the least of my worries, my question is how does the tubing get repaired? The primer tube is cracked as well. Its not like I can replace the whole line because the tub is spray foamed. Id attach the pics but the file is too big.

• 2 weeks later...

You're going to have to chip away some of the foam to create a long enough section of tubing that you can work on.  Pick up some tubing at Home Depot, along with a couple of barbs and hose clamps to replace the damaged part of the tubing.  It helps to use a heat gun to warm the tubing to make it more pliable, of course don't overheat it or it will flatten out.

Sometimes, those guys who repair hot tubs for a living are well worth the cost of a service call.

Dave