Jacuzzi J460 Economy mode / Standard questions

SFhenry

Hello, I am the new owner of a 2007 Jacuzzi J-460.  I had a service person over to show me how to use the Economy setting.  From what I understand, when it's in this mode, it should ONLY run at the 4 times that it is programmed to go on, and for how long I set it.  I have the times, 12, 6, 12, and 6 for 30 minutes.  Tonight when I go outside, at 8.15pm, the circulation pump is running, the tub is at 104 degrees.  I am under the impression the only time the tub should run is at those 4 times, for the specified time.  ( also there's a noon blow out of each pump).  I have the Standard mode set for 6pm for 3 hours, but it's not in Standard, it's in Economy.

Does anyone understand this model and can they explain to me why the circ seems to sometimes just run because it feels like it, outside of a programmed cycle?

Many thanks.

Henry

• 2 months later...

I have a 2004 J-385.  A bit different, but the same general age.

Your understanding of Standard/Economy matches mine - it shouldn't turn on to heat the water except during the programmed cycles when it's in Economy mode.   That's how mine works.  In Standard mode, anytime the water temperature drops, pump 1 will turn on to heat the water.

The Circulation pump is programmed separately.  It doesn't pay attention to the Standard/Economy setting, and it Doesn't run the heater.  It's whole purpose is simply to circulate the water, especially if you have an ozonator on the Jacuzzi.   If a lot of people use the Jacuzzi and you have an Ozonator, Jacuzzi recommends that you just set it to run 24 hours a day.  If you don't have an ozonator (or the ozonator is dead), you can probably set it to not run at all and it won't affect the water quality. 

So, I think the Jacuzzi is operating normally - pump 1 came on at 6:00 PM and ran for 30 minutes, heating the water, then it turned off.  The Circulation pump also came on at 6:00PM, and ran until 9:00 PM because you have it programmed to run for three hours.  When you came out at 8:15, you saw the circ pump running and the water was hot from the 6:00-6:30 cycle.

In Economy mode, the tub only heats during filtering cycles.  Here's the manual, if you haven't got it:  https://www.jacuzzi.com/media/3286/j400-series_english.pdf.  Heatings mode are explained on page 36.

Do you see the economy icon on the screen?  When you press the MODE button, whatever pops up is the mode you are in.  So if you press MODE and see "STANDARD," then you are in Standard mode.  It's not prompting you to hit the button to go into standard mode.

Dave