Question about using TDS strips

Susanj

I used to be rather analytic about TDS -- I'd take water into the spa store and have it measured, and I've also tried to use my own electronic meter to perform an electrical conductivity test (which is how the expensive meters do it). In the end I abandoned the idea of using a  number to know when to drain.  I can tell when the water looses is sparkle -- its clean and healthy but has no sparkle. thats usually when i drain.  or when pH starts to get more difficult to manage. 

If you want to use the TDS number,  I would suggest that you correlate your measurements with water appearance. and balance, effort.   the strips aren't that accurate, as a single measurement  but they would give you some value if,  over time , you got to know what your spa water does and the TDS measurements associated with those other factors.  then it would then be useful to know when you are approaching a drain interval and you could drain before guests come over, for example. 

I don't do maintenance myself since this is at a vacation rental 75 miles away. I can check on things when I go every 2-4 weeks. From what I understand, when TDS starts to get to near 2000 , there should be problems with getting the chemicals easily balanced, so our service person should know that and I probably don't even need to check it. He did tell me that most owners try to let it go long to save money on a refill. I'm the opposite because I don't want any illnesses or bad reviews..