Ozone generator not working

Steve Viele

I own a 2006 Keys Backyard hot tub, Mod. KS440DESS2.  It has a Balboa control box #543444 with main circuit board VS500Z, part #22972.  The spa had an ozone generator when new which had the four prong power cord.  It went bad due to foot valve failure, when water entered the unit.  The cord had only three wires, Red, Black and White.  The unit is plugged into the J29 outlet on the circuit board.  My new Ultra Pure ozone generator with same cord wiring  does not work when hooked up to circuit board but does work when tested on its own with voltage.  The receptacles on the J29 outlet measure 117 volts between where the  black and green wires would plug in respectively, 117 volts between white and green, but between white and black, it measures only .158 volt.  I tested these voltages when the spa was on low speed, where I understand is the only time the ozone generator should get power; and on other speed/blower settings as well.  Voltages remain the same.  Can you please tell me if these circuit boards have a relay for sending voltage to the J29 outlet, or do you think the board got damaged when the original ozone generator went kaput?  Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

How do you know the ozonator isn't turning on?  You looking for bubbles or light? 

The board has 117V between black and white and 117V between green and white.  That means it probably has 240V between black and white, which suggests to me that it is a 240V ozonator. 

Looking at the board, there is a white wire next to J29 that leads to the left side, where it ends up in an area called "White AC Common" or "Red AC Common."  If the white wire goes to the Red section, than it's set for a 240VAC ozonator.  If it goes to the white area, it's set for a 115VAC ozonator.

If the new ozonator is 115V, then you are sending it voltage on both the black and white wires so the circuit isn't being completed.  WITH POWER TO THE SPA TURNED OFF, move the white wire to "White AC Common"

Dave

Dave, thanks very much for your reply. I had tested the new O-Zone generator on the bench by watching the blue light go on when I applied 120 V to the black and white wires. The label on the new O-Zone generator says it is for both 120 V and 230.  The original O-Zone generator also listed dual voltages on its label but still had just the white, black, and green wires on it’s cord as well.  When I received the new O-Zone generator, the white wire on it’s cord was not plugged into the plastic plug receptacle yet and the instructions said to put it into the cord socket that gave power on the corresponding port on the board. I put it into the same socket to match the cord on the old O-Zone generator.  I will check the white wire on the board tomorrow.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. 

Dave,  I checked the board and it only has spade terminals in the white AC area, where the W2 white wire is connected.  None in the red area so the board must be wired for only a 115 volt Ozonator.  At least that is clarified. I checked the Ultra Pure website again and found their plug/cord diagrams and I have the Ozonator wired for 115 volts, which is apparently how the original Ozonator was wired as well. Unfortunately the J29 plug is still only supplying .158 volts where the white and black plug in. If it is indeed only supposed to supply 115 volts then I’m stumped as to why i’m getting voltage across the green wire. I’m concerned that it must be a board issue now. 

Another thought - for a balboa board, the connector wires, from top to bottom, are usually black, blank, white and green.    (I've seen a few where the top position is blank and the black wire is the second)

White is always third and green is always bottom.

Is that what you have?