Spa damaged during delivery

Mbunce

Hello, as you can see I am a brand new member and this is a first post. 

My wife and I are in Canada and have an above ground pool and have just purchased a new Hotspring Vanguard Spa. 

The spa was recently delivered and has not been hooked up yet. 

My question relates to how fragile the internals of the spa will be. The reason I ask is that the tub was damaged during the delivery. The dealer tells me that the damage was caused by the spa dolly and they will replace the damaged cosmetic panels. I am fine with that. 

The bigger concern is a large chunk out of the wooden base. This indicates to me that the spa was dropped or hit hard on something. 

I would love to get the opinion from the community here as to how I should expect the dealer to handle this. My concern is with the long term reliability of the spa. Could the impact of it being dropped cause any weakness to the circuit board, pumps, plumbing etc. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Mike

That sucks! I've read so many reviews about people ordering cheaper tubs that come scratched or gouged, then you get the same deal, as if you'd ordered one of those. My guess would be that a fork lift could have done as much without impact, or if the dolly bumped against something and caught it, either would be steel and it doesn't take much to crack wood with metal and momentum.  Supposedly if they are well insulated, that helps prevent damage internally too.  I'd pay close attention to its performance and change all the settings (along with the GFCI first for safety) to see that it worked as expected and didn't leak, at least.

Thanks for the advice folks. It's nice to know I'm not overreacting. The dealer assures me they will repair the cosmetic damage. I am still worried about the long term effects of the impact /drop. 

I am going to suggest that the dealer guarantees that any leaks or failures in the first 6 months will result in us getting a brand new tub rather than a warranty repair. I feel that this is a fair offer on my end. If they won't agree to that then they can come and take it back. 

Since the dealer's not going to give you a new spa, I'd document the damage with a written, certified letter with photos to Hotsprings, so that if in the future you have problems, you can show the spa was in questionable condition when received.

It's probably not going to be an issue, Hotsprings is a well made product.  But if it turns out your spa has an unusual amount of service problems, you'll be able to show it was a known issue from day 1.

Dave