Limited Balcony - Do Inflatable Tubs "Scrunch/Bend"?

VanNewbi

I've got 2 balconies on my apartment, the more ideal one for the hot to be on location wise is limited in space.

It's a corner balcony, with about 78" length and then about 44" width from wall to a corner pillar, with more like 50 some odd inches on the other part of the pillar kinda like this:

_____

__|         |

|             |

|_______|

I'm looking at getting a round tub that is about 70" in diameter. My question is - it's going to be pressed against this corner pillar and scrunched in there a bit... for you guys/girls out there who have experience with inflatable tubs is this going to be possible - and if it is is it going to be a safety/operation issue? I wouldn't anticipate much, but it's definitely going to hit the corner and have to bend in a bit at the wall.

Please help advise, I'm new to this but want to make it work somehow.. thanks everyone :)

No. You need a clear space where the shape of the tub will not be restricted. If you try what you asked, you would probably get rather quick wall failure, I'm thinking. That is if the tub is even flexible enough to fit in that space. Once blown up, the tub isn't very flexible at all. Plus the weight of the water is not insignifican, approx 2,600 lbs when full.

I have a Coleman Lay-z-spa made by Bestway located in my garage.

I'd consult with the building manager on that, and look into what has gone wrong on balconies anyway, such as:

"Experts say you have to use common sense, including 'understanding that a small balcony shouldn't hold 10, 15, 20 people'."

So how many people does a hot tub amount to in weight, including water and those it will hold?  That size sounds like about the equivalent of 15 people... "Perhaps the most important thing to remember is too much weight on a deck or balcony can lead to disaster. That's what appears to have happened in Berkeley. As many as 13 people were jammed on the small balcony when it collapsed."

I'm not saying that you don't have common sense, by the way, just that common sense evolves from things going wrong, like those stories, for example (or they shouldn't keep happening, when these things can be looked up easily). Just think, a number of people have died to tell you this... and don't trust that the building is inspected regularly enough to go by its load capacity alone.

There are hot tub hammocks too, those are probably the lightest ones out there (not that I'd suggest hanging one off a rail)... assuming that a balcony is "a platform projecting from the wall of a building, usually above the ground floor".