Solar Cover for Spa

In a cold climate,  such as New Jersey - you need a good,  solid cover.

If someone is recommending that you need a solar blanket cover under the hot tub cover -- then your hot tub cover is inadequate. 

Upgrade the cover.   It's worth doing.

12 hours ago, north_of_boston said:

In a cold climate,  such as New Jersey - you need a good,  solid cover.

If someone is recommending that you need a solar blanket cover under the hot tub cover -- then your hot tub cover is inadequate. 

Upgrade the cover.   It's worth doing.

Our cover is only 2 years old and is a "good, solid cover." and perfectly adequate.  It was suggested to us by a friend who owns a hot tub (also lives in South Jersey), that a solar cover would (1) help prolong the life of our very adequate solid cover (2) help with water and chemical evaporation and (3) help keep the water at temperature and the heater from running so often.  

I was just asking for thoughts.  We just ordered it.

2 minutes ago, Jason B said:

Cool. link to it?

I'd think it could only help.... How much do you think your electric bill is addtional per month? And what KW rate are you at?

That's what we were thinking.  We don't really know about our electric bill yet.  We are thinking maybe an additional $50.  We just got the hot tub and our next elec. bill will be the first full month.  kWh = $0.044    I found the cover I wanted then searched on Amazon and found this one.  Same specs and it was cheaper so I went with it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WKM28E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, Jim-Cindy Gullo said:

Our cover is only 2 years old and is a "good, solid cover." and perfectly adequate.  It was suggested to us by a friend who owns a hot tub (also lives in South Jersey), that a solar cover would (1) help prolong the life of our very adequate solid cover (2) help with water and chemical evaporation and (3) help keep the water at temperature and the heater from running so often.  

I was just asking for thoughts.  We just ordered it.

Did not mean to rumple any feathers.    Over the years,  some people have checked in here with problems - and it turned out that they were using very thin,  flimsy 2-inch thick covers,  in northern climates (Vermont / Ontario / Quebec/  even Massachusetts).

In my last hot tub,   which "shipped out" of my yard in 2010 - I was supplied with a very inadequate cover as a replacement,   and my dealer offered me the blanket - which,  to me seemed to be a somewhat mickey-mouse workaround for my situation.   

Thus when I heard "blanket",   I shuddered a little bit.

The tub "died" within a year,  anyway,  so on its replacement - the cover was a "max cover" -- and after seven years of New England weather it's held up well

I hesitate to say "New England winters" because a couple of those years,  we had no winter here - can't say that for this year,  however....

• 2 months later...

I wonder if you are still using the solar cover? We are in Mass and when I go outside in my bathing suit in the middle of January i want to open the tub and hop in so i would invest in a 4-6 inch cover and be done with it. I just think a solar cover would take too much time to be worth it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2018 at 8:02 AM, im45us said:

I wonder if you are still using the solar cover? We are in Mass and when I go outside in my bathing suit in the middle of January i want to open the tub and hop in so i would invest in a 4-6 inch cover and be done with it. I just think a solar cover would take too much time to be worth it.

I live in Massachusetts,  too.   Go with a super cover.  You'll save kwh and it will last longer...