Hot Springs drain handle stuck

schutjer

I have an older spa in a house I bought.  The drain requires that a square handle be lifted to open the pipe to drain.  It's kind of a T on top of the drain pipe opening.  it is a 1990 Hot Springs sovereign if that helps.  I had to drain it with a pump but for cleaning it would be great to get that open.  Any tricks or techniques that I am missing?  I had a spa repair guy here to help drain it and generally check it out and he said just use the pump which I thought was fine but after he left, I realized it would be nice to  be able to open that.  The tub is in a house and surrounded by a deck so it is a total pain to get down there to do anything (thus the pump recommendation made total sense).  Anyway, if anyone has some advice on how to get this sucker open, that would be cool.  Thanks.  

Sounds like a gate/slice valve. Usually they have a quarter turn locking mechanism where the handle meets the collar. If it still won't open after you turn it counter clockwise, you probably have calcium or other buildup that is seizing the gate. You can try to muscle it or you can cut it out and install a new unit, they run about $20 online. Honestly, I'd use the pump and not mess with the valve.