American Spa, Hot Spot or Caldera

Rachaelk

Hello, I could really use some help deciding which hot tub to buy.

I am between:

a Home Depot one, the American Spa, 6 person 85 jet, with ozonator and 50 ft. filter for $5400

a Hot Spot (by Hot Springs) Relay, 35 jets, ozonator and 65 ft. top loading filtration area, for $6400

or a Caldera Marino, 35 jets, ozonator and 65 ft filter for $6000

We had a home depot one years ago and it was good. How important is insulation which I believe is better in Caldera and Hot Spot. Is 15 more feet of filter area a lot?

Thoughts?? Any advice would be appreciated! thanks, Rachael

I would choose either the Hot Spot or Caldera personally.  Yes, I sell both, but my opinion would be the same if you substituted a Marquis, Jacuzzi, Artesian, or many others in their place.

Insulation is important, not just for reduced operating costs but also to reduce noise and support the plumbing.  A larger filter will require less frequent cleaning and clean the hot tub in a shorter amount of time.

I would buy the more reputable brand from a hot tub retailer who will be there to take care of you after the sale.  I would also save $400 and get the Caldera.  Relay and Marino are basically same spa but I like the in-line spa frog on Caldera, how the exterior looks, and the reversible head rests.  

thanks so much for reply!! i think we will go with the caldera. Because you're the "spa savant", thought I'd ask, have you ever heard of Natural Spa or Natures Hot Tub Treatment? They are 100% chemical free sanitation systems that work with the ozonators that get some really good reviews.

No such thing as chemical free.  If they are not EPA approved as a sanitizer, I wouldn’t use them.  If you were my customer I would start you out using the Frog @ease system which is minerals + chlorine.  If you feel the need to add something like Silk Balance, Aqua Finesse, or something similar, by all means do so, but you need an actual sanitizer to kill bacteria in the water.

Aside from features, the most important thing is the dealer you are buying from.  Will they be there to support you in 5 years when your warranty is expired?  What is their reputation like in the neighborhood?  Any tub can have mechanical or electrical problems, but a good dealer will get you up and running quickly.  That means having a full time service department.

Anyone can sell you a new hot tub.  But a dealer that keeps your old hot tub running is worth their weight in gold.

I'm not a fan of full foam hot tubs.  All that insulation and glued on sides will be a major headache for whoever has to repair it for you.  Yes, you may save a few dollars in heating costs because of the insulation, but you'll be paying a repair technician hundreds of dollars extra to chip away at that foam when you get a problem.

Dave

On 10/26/2017 at 9:39 PM, Jersey Hot Tub Repair said:

Aside from features, the most important thing is the dealer you are buying from.  Will they be there to support you in 5 years when your warranty is expired?  What is their reputation like in the neighborhood?  Any tub can have mechanical or electrical problems, but a good dealer will get you up and running quickly.  That means having a full time service department.

Anyone can sell you a new hot tub.  But a dealer that keeps your old hot tub running is worth their weight in gold.

I'm not a fan of full foam hot tubs.  All that insulation and glued on sides will be a major headache for whoever has to repair it for you.  Yes, you may save a few dollars in heating costs because of the insulation, but you'll be paying a repair technician hundreds of dollars extra to chip away at that foam when you get a problem.

Dave

Caldera uses FiberCor for insulation which unlike spray foam does not attach to anything or get hard.  In the event of a leak, much easier to remove and replace.