Circulation Pump Longevity

stevePDX

Greetings all,

Newbie here with a question regarding circulation pumps.  I have a 2011 Calspa (costco edition) that uses one main pump (primary and secondary jets) and another pump (circulation pump). The main pump is one of those funky PRC Dually that are obsolete but still working fine. The circulation pump is a Laing E10 pump (230 Volts).  The problem is that I need to replace the circulation pump every 2 years or so. It just dies! Is this unusual? I think its a 24/7 continuous running pump. If this is unusual, then what are some things you could recommend me testing? I appreciate any and all advice.

Pump should last longer than that.  I would expect 5-7 years but have seen them last 15-20 years.  Laing had issues between 2008 - 2011 but those were resolved.  Circulation pumps do not have a shaft and impeller like a traditional pump, they are magnetic driven.  If anything gets inside the pump, like debris, scale, calcium build-up, etc, they will run rougher and have a shorter life.  Also if your filter is dirty or water level gets low, the pump can become air locked and burn itself out.

How many times have you replaced it?  Did the first one fail after 2 years, as well as the replacements?

Where are you buying your pumps from?  A reputable parts company, or are you just getting the cheapest pump you can find on eBay?  Are you sure you're not dealing with a shady supplier selling used parts?

Is it possible the system is set up for a 115V pump and you've been replacing with the wrong size?  You can check the voltage over the black and white wires at the circuit board to verify that.

Water quality could be an issue.  Do you have mineral laden well water?  Are you using a salt generator or heavy doses of chlorine?

I would expect an E10 pump to last at least 5 years.

Dave

Thanks for the replies!

Dave,

I have had the spa for ~8 years now and have gone through 3 of them so far. I learned my lesson long ago not to buy any parts from Ebay (not just spa parts). I typically will get the parts from vendors like hottubdepot or spadepot. They all seem reputable. The first one lasted ~2 1/2 years. Ill check the voltage as you suggested to make sure I'm getting 220v. The Mineral levels are really low where I live and im using Bromine. Ive had a lot of people tell me that these E10 pumps are notorious for failing at 2 - 3 years. Maybe its time for a different brand to see if that helps.

Steve

• 1 year later...

"but having three fail seems a little excessive" - you think?  I have 4 E-10's on my bench. Well the motor, sans impeller.  For some reason the bearing surface wears down and magnet starts rubbing on the casing - to the place where it won't spin up.  Can I order a new impeller? Oh no, you have to buy a whole new pump for $180-$250.  OK, just took a break, Spadepot, Grundfos $109+tax.  I'll have to get some new tubing because Laing - in side, out center and Grundfos in center out side.  Semi aside - last time I replaced my Laing I install a pair of 3/4" valves (plastic, red handle).  One just after the flow switch and one in front of the heater.  So, power off, both valves off and a my leisure remove the old pump, replumb/rewire etc.  Now about the 2' of snow....

I'd be curious to learn how the grundfos works for you.  I've been hesitant about changing to them because they have 1" barbs and I'm not a fan of adapters to bring it down to 3/4".  They are certainly cheaper, but I can't believe the quality could be any worse than Laing.

Dave