Chemistry on hold but tub full of water, recommended sanitizer?

drvn2skcede

Hi. we bought a used hot tub (first-time owners) and have had to fill/empty while setting up electrical, repairing seals/gaskets etc.  Now we've filled it again and have finally determined that everything is in working condition.  The problem is that our new cover does not arrive until Friday (today is Monday) and the temperature is pretty chilly here. I don't want to empty/refill again and I don't want to continually run the heater without the cover because it will cost a fortune in hydro here.  Left on its own, the temp will likely hover around 65.  My intention is to heat it up once the cover gets here and when it gets up to 100, apply the first treatment of Ahh-some (without the new filters in place).  After that, I will empty/refill and do another treatment with Ahh-some (the tub has been sitting empty since last winter, and sitting with no cover all summer. This second time I will put the filters in place).  After that, I'll empty/refill and start my first chemical treatments for normal use.  My questions are::

1. Should I put anything into the cold water for between now and Friday?  The lady we bought it from had just put some Javex in the water as she was showing it to prospective buyers.  If Javex is recommended, how much would I add (8 person tub).  And would it be okay to add the Ahh-some on Friday with the Javex in it?

2. Are 2 treatments of Ahh-some sufficient for cleaning the tub prior to use?  I will also use an acrylic tub cleaner after the Ahh-some to clean up the surface before refilling.

Thanks for help!  

You can put chlorine in if you want, but for four days at 65 deg you should be fine without. You can use the Ahh-some with chlorine in the water or no chlorine, it doesn't matter. You can also use Ahh-some in ambient temperature water, although it is slightly more effective at hot tub temps. Not familiar with the Javex brand of bleach, but just make sure that is has no additives such as splashless or scented.

Usually, one treatment of Ahh-some is sufficient unless there is a major buildup of biofilm in the plumbing. You can tell by how much gunk comes out. You will see the residue discoloring the foam, and in severe cases, sticking to the sides of the tub. If the gunk is heavy, then do a second purge. If it's light, then one purge will probably be sufficient.