Help choosing Heating Element Thread Paste

Hi All,

I replaced a heating element in a Balboa control system and noticed when I removed the nuts that attach the element to the pipe that there was some sort of sealing compound in the threads. I searched for a while what type of thread compound this might be but am finding out there are many types of thread compound out there. I am not familiar with pipe dope, thread sealant, thread compounds etc and figured someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. The best conclusion I can come to is that it is the same kind of pipe thread that might be used on a water heater element with straight threads, not NPT, and are rated for hot water environments.

Looking at several different heating element replacement instructions there is no mention of using pipe thread sealant but I am positive one is used at the factory and then painting polyurethane to seal everything after the electrical connections are made. I want to do these replacements by the book and use this material for cleaning up dirty connections on further repairs.

Thanks as always, for any help you may be able to provide.

Dan

pipe thread paste help.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Dan,

Thank you for the reply. I checked the info on the stuff you use and looks great for the heaters. Can you recall if the people you mentioned using the Deacon brand stuff used the 770 (200-950F) or 7228 (-25 - 450F) I imagine it would probably be 7228 as the paste needs to be able to perform before the spa is put into use or in storage where it could be exposed to colder temps. Thanks again, I think the 7228 thread paste looks like the best material for the job as long as it does not react with the o-ring material which mine are Viton. I can't remember if that is what is used at the Balboa factory. Thanks again!

Dan