Help buying my first (actually second) Hot tub!!

Irishbeefsbest

Hi there, I owned a Viking Spa for about one month a few years back, bought from local company, with a showroom. Had nothing but problems with the tub from the install day.... Mainly due to heater not being able to keep the tub above body temperature for anymore than 45minutes after the cover was removed. The tub was large 6 seater about 1200Litres capacity and the heater was a 2kw heater running on a 13amp plug and play set up.....things did not end well and the absolute buffoonery displayed by so called technicians at this so called company ended up in me owning a hot tub that had to be returned.

Anyways, my own fault I guess, as I walked blindly into that purchase knowing nothing about hot tubs. A few years on, here I am, back problems, neck problems, knee problems , issues with stress worse than ever, and I am very much wanting to own a tub. This tub will be for therapy not for partying. Ideally I would like a smallish tub. 3-4 people max. I just want it to be able to hold temperature, have decent hydrotherapy and to not run up the electricity bill!

I have looked at the below companies and models-

Caldera- Celio/Aventine ( new) both approx. £ 5500

Hotspring- SX and TX  (new) both approx. £ 5500-5799

Freeflow- Mini ( second-hand 6/12 old) for £2000

Beachcomber 520 "leep" (second hand ,excellent condition fully serviced by UK spa company and with 6/12 "warranty" ) for £2200 .

https://www.beachcomberhottubs.co.uk/hot-tubs/500-series/520-hot-tub/specs-features

As you can see I have not yet decided to buy new or second hand, and I fully appreciate the merits of doing both. Id rather plug and play 13amp ...but I can pay an electrician for other set up also if it helps me get what I want from the tub.

I have heard mixed reviews on the beachcomber brand, some saying its the Rolls Royce of tubs, others complaining about leaks, and jets popping out etc ??

Any advice appreciated!!

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of a spa for hydrotherapy, have you considered the Bullfrog Line?  The A7 or A8 line are excellent for therapy and can be adjusted for kind of use intended by the owner.  Villeroy and Boch are the international handlers of Bullfrog Spas so  you might be able to order one through  them.  I use the A8 for therapy and appreciate the design and jet strength.  Just a thought as one might not be available in your location..