Swim Spa Comparisons

I am having a devil of a time finding comparisons by users and/or professionals between the very few swim spas that are on the market. In fact, only the companies "Endless Pools" and "Infinite Pools" even post the prices of their swim spas (both, ironically, now at $19400 w/o shipping). We in New England are in the market for a swim spa and I would really like some educated information about ANYTHING to do with this very expensive product. We've previewed both Endless's (endless) and Infinite's DVDs. Looks like Infinite's might be a better product. But there's got to be others out there. Please Help us!

I am having a devil of a time finding comparisons by users and/or professionals between the very few swim spas that are on the market. In fact, only the companies "Endless Pools" and "Infinite Pools" even post the prices of their swim spas (both, ironically, now at $19400 w/o shipping). We in New England are in the market for a swim spa and I would really like some educated information about ANYTHING to do with this very expensive product. We've previewed both Endless's (endless) and Infinite's DVDs. Looks like Infinite's might be a better product. But there's got to be others out there. Please Help us!

Try www.hydropoolhottubs.com they are out of canada, lookup a local dealer and go check them out.

Thanks, Guzz. Actually, I did find them a few days back and talked to a local guy who's never sold one but was happy once he saw the price o' them.

We're pretty enamoured by the Infinite Pools product- it seems more 'geared' toward the athleticism of swimming, rather than the "spa" concept and their machine is a propeller, not a couple of jets. Anyone have any knowledge about Infinite?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I did a bit of research about 6 months ago. I looked at Endless Pools, Infinite Pools, as well as 2-3 other small players.

Infinite Pools, like all the other small players, has a comparison grid to the Endless Pool, showing all the ways their product is superior. I feel, Infinite Pools has carved out a unique niche for itself. Their strategy appears to be to pursue a one-call close with easy finance.

I don't believe Infinite Pools manufactures their product, and they only started marketing in the last 2 years or so. Furthermore, Infinite Pools is actual part of Wave Tec Pools which has quite a reputation. To learn more I would suggest visiting the BBB site in Austin, TX or go to the San Antonio Texas station KSAT to watch their expose.

I would really consider giving the hydropool swimspas another look they have been producing them for over 10 years. I have been in one before and it gives you more than enough power to exercise against. The reliability is great. I know the N Y Rangers and Mets Have them in their training facilities Also the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs have swim spas as well for Hydropool is based Just outside of T O

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man where do I begin with Infinite Pools...

I too was going between the 2 - Endless and Infinite...that is until i came across http://www.truthaboutinfinite.comIn the past 36 months alone they have had over 98 Better business Bureau complaints!!!

They arent even a pool company - wave Tec pools makes the pools - and they own the financing company that supposedly gives you $99 a month financing.

It is soo beyond shady!

they hire anyone to install infinite pools which is why most of their pools take months to install...Endless Pools has an entire Team of factory trained installers - our pool took 2 weeks to finish - 1 week and a half of which was because i measured for the liner wrong. the actual install was about 2 days

http://www.endlesspools.com

Actually the Infinite Pool is manufactured by Sentry Pools in Moline Illinois. They sell it under the name Riverpool.

I like the construction of it- but would recommend you buy it from Sentry rather than WaveTec/Infinite. I stated reasons in

2 previous posts, but these posts have mysteriously disappeared.

• 4 weeks later...
I would really consider giving the hydropool swimspas another look they have been producing them for over 10 years. I have been in one before and it gives you more than enough power to exercise against. The reliability is great. I know the N Y Rangers and Mets Have them in their training facilities Also the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs have swim spas as well for Hydropool is based Just outside of T O

I have to Agree the Aquatrainer is an amazing product made by Hydropool I have been in the hot tub industry for 13 years and i have to say in my opinion the best 2 are the aquatrainer and D1.

I like Swimex best out of the ones I have worked with. They move all the water from side to side and surface to floor. They us return channels under the benches or the floor so the water makes a complete loop and is only going one way in the swim area.

They are also pricey.

I spent a full day researching and talking to the various makers/suppliers of these things. Doesn't sound like much, but I mean a full day - as in twelve-plus hours - at a pool and spa convention. SwimEx got my vote. The other makers all had one or two models swimming in their units. They could go for hours. They were all in good shape, but I mean, hours? The SwimEx display had about ten young people rotating in - they couldn't go more than about 20 minutes, and some of them would end up against the wall if the salepeople cranked it up. And I don't think there was more than a few percent body fat among all ten of them. There was just that much more water moving in the SimEx unit.

Another point to ponder - still water. I have watched people tie up to a handrail or hook in the deck next to a spa or pool, and swim against a bungie cord in still water. I tried it once, and I get the impression you burn far more calories. It is very different trying to move the water as opposed to move through the water.

The reason I bring it up at all is that if you look around, you will find that you can buy/install a small pool or a large spa for much less money. A sport pool, or splash pool, or play pool - whatever you want to call it - will cost you less to install and will consume far less power. You can put in one that is no bigger than the area you will take up swimming in place, or you could put in a pool large enough to have a volleyball game with a net stretched accross.

I would go to some local pool - at the club or a friend's house - and try swimming against a tether. If it works for you, you could end up with a more dual-purpose unit for less money.

One more point - if you put in a small pool and swim in still water, you are going to work muscles you didn't evne know you had. So, of course, you will need a nice hot spa sitting nearby to relax after your workout.

SwimEx

Some small pools -

San Juan Pools

Hawaiin Pools

Swim Tether

B)

• 1 month later...

H2x swim spa by Masterspas. We have had it for 1 year. I was worried about the other spas vinyl liners and 90 degree angles on benches. This spa is very curvy and has hot tub jets in the seat. The swim jet is not a pump but a propeller that pushes a wide area of water. On high setting you actually can barely sit in the seat at the other end because of the amount of water being circulated. The medium setting makes a perfect water flow for the average swimmer doing breast stroke. Our kids love just playing in the current.

The manufacturer quotes 3500 gallons so this has a lot of water. I thought I was making a mistake not buying a 15X30 pool, but I don't miss my spare time not having to take care of such a large pool and heating it during 20 degree winters

• 3 months later...

Do NOT purchase an Infinite Pool...

This is to address anyone who has purchased, is mid construction, or is in a legal dispute with WaveTec pools...

My first phone call on Monday morning will be to a "Lemon Law" attorney in Texas.

If you think your problems getting the stupid thing constructed have been a nightmare... just wait.

The hydraulic system leaks hydraulic fluid into the water as well.

We purchased our pool in May 2006. It was June 1, 2007 before the pool was fully constructed and we were ready to swim! By August 2007, I started noticing a black "grease mark" along the edges and near the skimmer. I removed the screen from the current machine to find that the metal couplings had orange and yellow goop all over them, and that the underside of the screen was coated in oil.

This is more than an inconvenience... My children swim in that pool, a petrochemical like the hydraulic fluid can cause deadly chemical pneumonia (if you haven't heard of it, it is why there are now safety caps sold on baby oil products.) All children will take a nose-full of pool water from time to time. This is a very serious threat to anyone who swims in these pools where the hydraulic fluid has leaked.

Wave Tec people have tried to tell me that it's a problem with Flagstaff water, and that our hard water is causing excellerated rusting of the couplings and that's why it's leaking.

I'm a graduate student at NAU, and the Chair of my department is the foremost Hydrochemist in the region, and he has assured me that's the most rediculous thing he's ever heard.

So, like you, I'm venting on this site, I'm out many thousands of dollars too, I'm disgusted by their business practices, and I will go to any length to get my money back and do what ever it takes to put these people out of business.

Luckily, Texas' "Don't mess with..." reputation bodes well for all of us in that their Lemon Laws are among the most consumer-protecting in the nation...

Welcoming any input... Jenno.

If Your in New England check out the Master Spas H2X. It uses a propeller system which you seem interested in and ther are a few dealers in New England that can get you one to try. Its a self contained unit that doesn't have to be built into anything. So although the price is higher than the systems from endless, the cost of installation is miniscule compared to the cost to construct a vinyl liner pool to put that system in - nevermind keeping it heated in the fall and winter months. freetimecreations - where did you get yours?

SteveO, Any MasterSpa dealer can get the H2X for you. The one problem is that in some areas you only have one Master Spa dealer. If you don't like the dealer you are stuck. In my case (My dealer got an attitude) I had the parts shipped from a different dealer in another state and had the parts installed by a nicer repair person. (The H2X is alot like a regular spa so any repairman can fix it)

Yes this ended up being more work but not more money since my dealer started charging trip fees for the 1.5 hour drive from dealership to my house.

I like Swimex best out of the ones I have worked with. They move all the water from side to side and surface to floor. They us return channels under the benches or the floor so the water makes a complete loop and is only going one way in the swim area.

They are also pricey.

I spent a full day researching and talking to the various makers/suppliers of these things. Doesn't sound like much, but I mean a full day - as in twelve-plus hours - at a pool and spa convention. SwimEx got my vote. The other makers all had one or two models swimming in their units. They could go for hours. They were all in good shape, but I mean, hours? The SwimEx display had about ten young people rotating in - they couldn't go more than about 20 minutes, and some of them would end up against the wall if the salepeople cranked it up. And I don't think there was more than a few percent body fat among all ten of them. There was just that much more water moving in the SimEx unit.

Another point to ponder - still water. I have watched people tie up to a handrail or hook in the deck next to a spa or pool, and swim against a bungie cord in still water. I tried it once, and I get the impression you burn far more calories. It is very different trying to move the water as opposed to move through the water.

The reason I bring it up at all is that if you look around, you will find that you can buy/install a small pool or a large spa for much less money. A sport pool, or splash pool, or play pool - whatever you want to call it - will cost you less to install and will consume far less power. You can put in one that is no bigger than the area you will take up swimming in place, or you could put in a pool large enough to have a volleyball game with a net stretched accross.

I would go to some local pool - at the club or a friend's house - and try swimming against a tether. If it works for you, you could end up with a more dual-purpose unit for less money.

One more point - if you put in a small pool and swim in still water, you are going to work muscles you didn't evne know you had. So, of course, you will need a nice hot spa sitting nearby to relax after your workout.

SwimEx

Some small pools -

San Juan Pools

Hawaiin Pools

Swim Tether

B)

I know nothing about Swim Spas. I know Chas' reputation. These comments coming from him would give me confidence.

• 1 year later...

Try www.hydropoolhottubs.com they are out of canada, lookup a local dealer and go check them out.

Does anybody have any experience with rio swim spas? The company got an A grade from the Better Business Bureau but we are hoping to talk to someone directly who has personal experience with one of their swim spas.

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Master Spas H2X Swim Spa Compared to the others on the market (on utube). Master's swim Spas w/XT propulsion system is the best in the industry hands down.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a dealer for Catalina Spas. Catalina offers 3 different swim-spa models. All are self contained, requiring only a foundation and electrical hook-up. 2 of the models are 16'x8'x4 1/2'. The third is 18' long. You can view these by following the Catalina Spas link on our site at www.backyarddreamscapes.com

I have been in the spa industry for over 30 years, and have seen or serviced just about every brand of spa on the market. When we were looking for a line of spas to carry, we researched every brand that wasn't already on the market in San Antonio. We chose Catalina spas for several reasons. First of all, they build a quality product. They are one of the oldest spa manufacturers in the country. The offer outstanding dealer support, and have one of the best warranties in the business. Each spa is built to order, so when you receive your spa, you are not getting something that has been sitting in inventory for months or longer, it's a true custom built product.

I would be happy to give you any more information you may need, you can contact me directly via the web site or through here.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have any experience with rio swim spas? The company got an A grade from the Better Business Bureau but we are hoping to talk to someone directly who has personal experience with one of their swim spas.

Wendy

Wendy, Have you found any information on the Rio Swim Spa, I am also interested in installing one.

Mike

Slightly off topic here but I am in the market for a hot tub and noticed a few people selling swim spas. Including one below less than one year old, for (apparently) nearly half price. I have a huge piece of land to put the hot tub. I wonder what the heating cost is for such a mammoth swim spa. It could be a lot of fun for my wife and I, and our kids.

14' Endless Pool - Swim Spa - Exercise Pool!!! - $12995 (Edmonds)

This spa is less than 1 year old. Original price was $23k. Comes with 3 pumps, 4 swim jets, waterfall, and exercise equipment. This spa was reposessed from its original owner due to default in financing. Someone else's loss is your gain. Spa has a 1 year parts and labor warranty left on it.

Spa is totally self contained and comes with cover. All you need is a flat level pad to put it on. Electrical requirement is 220V/60amp.

If you've done any shopping on swim spas then you know how good of a deal this is. Serious inquiries only!

Watch demo at - www.tidalfit.com

First off, an "Endless Pool" is not a swim-spa, they are 2 totally different creatures.

Looking at the 3 swims-spas TidalFit (In this business over 30 years, and never heard of them), specifically the 2 with swim jets, I'll say this; They are using old technology...Badu Jets, with Speck pumps (do produce a good flow, using 3" and 4" plumbing, however should you ever have to service them, it is quite costly in comparison to standard swim-jets and pumps) and standard swim-jets with 2 2.0 HP (continuous HP, meaning actual pump hp) pumps using 2" plumbing and producing far less flow, have pretty much been replaced as the industry standard by Quad "River Jets" which produce a greater flow and more buoyancy using standard 4.0 HP (continuous HP again) pumps.

(A note about pump ratings here; when comparing pump systems, compare continuous hp and not BHP or braking horse power. BHP is the hp only when the pump starts up, not the true hp of the pump.)

Both the Badu and the standard swim-jets produce a stream that is approx. 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter at the nozzle, where the "river jets" produce a 10"-12" wide stream that not only offers more resistance, but also helps keep you lifted in the water. This allows you to focus more on swimming against the flow, rather than keeping yourself in the jet stream and afloat.

The Tidals are also only 14' long, which is on the small side for a swim-spa. Most adequate swim-spas will start at 16' and go up. The price you quoted , in my opinion, is high for a swim-spa that size with the same features. For example, Backyard Dreamscapes in San Antonio offers 2 16' Catalina swim-spas starting at $18,750 new. Both come with the same type exercise equipment as the Tidals, Larger heaters (12kw, compared to 5.5/11kw), and the quad "river jet system" using 4-4.0 continuous HP Pumps(2x the HP and the quantity of the Tidal's pumps. One of them also offers a standard 4 person spa at one end, with a total of 38 jets. The "river jets" are even "turbo-charged" with an air blower for an even heavier water flow. Catalina also offers something I haven't seen offered with any other swim-spa on the market; an underwater treadmill, and a water bike, both designed to be used in a swim-spa.

www.backyarddreamscapes.com/swimspas

As far as the previously queried Rio Plastics swim-spa, it too uses either the Badu system, or the old style swim-jets. It is also made of a material called Enduron, which comes in one color, white, and is very prone to staining and yellowing as it ages. It is also not a self-contained unit, designed to be installed in-ground, with the equipment being somewhat remote from the spa. I have installed several of these units, in varying sizes and equipment packs. Because they are in ground, rather than self-contained, the total cost of these swim-spas including installation, and decking etc can be prohibitive.

Hope this clears the air a bit...

Wendy

Wendy, Have you found any information on the Rio Swim Spa, I am also interested in installing one.

Mike

Refer to post #23 for information on Rio Plastics Swim-Spa

• 4 years later...

Check out www.swim-fitness.com for information on the Masterspa's swim spas. Lot's of great information and tips and tricks found on the site for making the purchase of a swim spa a more informed decision. The guys there are pretty helpful too and can point out little facts you normally would not get from a traditional salesman.