Does spa pump PSI matter?

Erik

Am I OK replacing a 50 psi spa pump with one rated at 29 psi?

I just acquired a hand-me-down hot tub that needs a new pump.  It's Jacuzzi brand, made in 2001, but I don't have the model number or anything (it's at a cabin in the mountains, and I'm not there now).  The old pump is Laing SM-1212-NHW-19, which was discontinued.  I purchased a Laing E10-NSHNDNN2W-02, part number 73979.  According to various web sites, this looks like the pump (or one of the pumps) that replaced the discontinued one.  It was listed on the hottubwarehouse.com web site as having a max pressure of 50 psi, the same as the old one.  It arrived, and everything looks right in terms of barb size and configuration, but the new pump says 29 psi max pressure, and sure enough other web sites list this new pump as 29 psi.

My question is, will this new pump work for me?  I'm sure it will technically work, but am I losing anything by having a 29 psi pump instead of a 50 psi one?  Or do newer pumps just have less psi to be more energy efficient or something?

Thanks!