Clear water XS 5 person spa, used, thoughts?

Jason B

It's not a brand I would normally suggest to people new, but a 7 footer in pretty good shape for $2500 isn't bad. Not a fan of the insulation style and leaks will become an issue over time. If it has a circ pump and ozone I think it's a fairly good buy. Make sure you personally see it function properly and ask them to up the temp so you know it will still heat. if for some reason you can't verify those 2 things, walk away. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to update this, I'm back to the clear water spa in the my original post at the top (the guy with th marquis still had no water in it). They came down to $1,500 on the clearwater. It was at 102° when I looked at it. Each side of the tub has it's own pump for the jets which I tested, and I think it has a circ pump? not 100%, but does have ozone, see pics below. I think it's 5-6 years old aprox.

Some more pics:

http://imagetwist.com/97pz32sjpi0v/unnamed__26_.jpg
http://imagetwist.com/ig8v2108xtme/unnamed__25_.jpg
http://imagetwist.com/3sgiy6iq5rmr/unnamed__23_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As I was doing more thinking, I think it's better than the marquis for my application because it's going to be fully recessed into screened in porch deck, which is 35" off the ground, which I think will work out better if and when there is a leak (porch it's surrounded by removable lattice wood so you can get inside access). If I went with a full foam tub and it leaked, there isn't going to be an easy way to find a leak in a full foam tub (i've seen videos when a full foam tub leaks they had remove the tub sometimes to find the source of where the leak is at) which won't be something I can do recessed. I wasn't thinking about this before, but again, for what I'm doing this may be better not having full foam?

A 5 year old hot tub is going to need work.  Judging by the control panel it probably has two jet pumps and many pumps these days are failing in the 5-7 year age range.  Most of the Clearwater spas I've seen have separate circulation pumps, which is a third pump to fail and replace. The heater element is probably near it's end of life.  Those aren't criticisms of this particular tub, those are just observations of what we see on service calls.  Nor are those reasons not to invest in the tub, as long as you understand you will be investing more in the future.

I'd be hesitant about putting any tub inside a deck - unless you like taking the deck apart on a regular basis to service the tub.  The older the tub, the more frequently you'll be servicing it.  But that's a service guy's opinion, I'm sure a home designer or salesman would tell you different.

The most important think to look for is that it heats and holds water.  Look all around the base of the tub for water that may be leaking out.  The homeowner could have topped it off an hour before you stopped by.  If possible, open the cabinet and look inside for water.

A single leaky jet or tube isn't a reason to not buy it, assuming those leaks are accessible.  But a leaky floor drain can be impossible to access.  At least know what you're getting into so you can make an informed decision.

Dave