WHAT GAUGE/MIL SHOULD I USE FOR OUR ABOVE GROUND POOL?

We purchased a 20 mil pool liner to replace our old one.  We just received it and it is MUCH thinner than the old one.  I'm not sure what gauge/mil the old one was but it is much thicker and lasted us 8 years.  Should we send this 20 mil liner back and get something thicker?  Seems a lot of companies are selling 20 mil but we'd prefer to spend a little more and do it right  so it lasts as long as possible.  

Suggestions????

Thank you for your time!

My original above ground pool liner lasted 14 years.  I got a replacement genuine Doughboy liner in 2014 (it's not a Doughboy pool) because the installer thought they were better, and had the same installer as did it originally do the job, and there was a leak at the seam within a couple of weeks.

I had to really fight with Doughboy about getting a replacement liner, not easy, took 2 months and I had to pay shipping cost.  That's stored in a closet right now.  In the meantime I drained the pool and repaired the leak with a patch and silicone glue on the "dry" side, this Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Adhesive on the seam itself, then another patch on the "wet" side using the Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Adhesive. 

loctite-super-glue-1360694-64_1000.jpg

• 10 months later...

On 9/2/2017 at 1:25 PM, Cusser said:

My original above ground pool liner lasted 14 years.  I got a replacement genuine Doughboy liner in 2014 (it's not a Doughboy pool) because the installer thought they were better, and had the same installer as did it originally do the job, and there was a leak at the seam within a couple of weeks.

I had to really fight with Doughboy about getting a replacement liner, not easy, took 2 months and I had to pay shipping cost.  That's stored in a closet right now.  In the meantime I drained the pool and repaired the leak with a patch and silicone glue on the "dry" side, this Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Adhesive on the seam itself, then another patch on the "wet" side using the Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Adhesive. 

Update: recently that "wet" side patch came off, like the glue they tried on Gilligan's Island: it was great until it failed.  So far it doesn't seem like the inner patch is leaking though.  However, if it does prove to be leaking, it likely would significantly easier for me to patch again rather than install that new liner at my age and lack of helpers.

So if I do drain and patch, what would you folks recommend as a patch and adhesive???  One of those kits that claim they work underwater that come with patch and adhesive???  Thanks.  It's about a 3500 gallon pool, and I need to refresh the water anyway due to calcium build-up.

loctite-super-glue-1360694-64_1000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion is "Pondpro2000" liquid flexible pond liner, an easy and flawless way to patch your liner, DIY version of fixing leak of pond liner, easy to use and perfect for joining without trouble.

16 hours ago, PondLinerRepair said:

My suggestion is "Pondpro2000" liquid flexible pond liner, an easy and flawless way to patch your liner, DIY version of fixing leak of pond liner, easy to use and perfect for joining without trouble.

If I chose to drain the pool, then sealing it/repairing it is less of an issue.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:22 AM, Cusser said:

I may try Flex Seal Clear Tape.. If I choose to drain the pool, then sealing it/repairing it is less of an issue.

My assessment: neither the Ace or the FlexSeal really did a decent seal applied under the water, I returned both to Ace, product did not perform as stated in writing on the packages, both curled up starting at the edges, the Ace patch floated away.  Maybe these would've worked fine if I had drained the pool to apply, but with temperatures like our 116F here in Phoenix yesterday, just not the time of year to be without use of pool for a half day or day.