Controller that supports 120V ozone

spageezer

Hey folks.  I'm new to the forum, but not new to portable spas.  I've got a 2003 Hawkeye spa that just had its first major failure.  One of the heater relays failed in dramatic fashion.  See attached photo.

Anyhow, the board is pretty much toast and 14 years is a good run.  It's a Gecko controller (model 0202-205108) and Gecko and many web vendors show 0202-205212 as a drop-in replacement.  Not so in my case.  I tried one and first of all it is designed to run the ozone any time the pump is on low speed.  That's fine for the filter cycle and while heating, but to have the thing pumping out ozone while someone is in the spa running the pump on low seems unhealthy.  BTW, there is no circulation pump.  I run the filter cycle for 3 hours every 12.  My old controller had a relay for the ozone circuit and it would turn the ozone off if the pump or light buttons were pushed.  I was willing to live with a little extra ozone exposure, but here's the rub.  If you have a 240V set-up and the pump is wired for 240V but the ozone is 120V, the new Gecko 0202-205212 would back-feed power to the ozone through the low-speed pump circuit any time power was on the system.  In other words, the ozone generator was on CONTINUOUSLY.  Not good.  The response from Gecko tech support was "what do you want ozone for anyway?"  They basically seem to have designed all the currently available S-class controllers with no regard to the use of ozone.  I could have bought a 240V ozone generator, but the 120V UV unit I have now is fairly new and working fine.

Does anyone offer a good controller that has a logic control and relay for the ozone generator?  Gecko does not seem to.  So I guess I'm looking for a controller/topside bundle now.  The topside is a Gecko TSC-19.  Do any other brands work with that topside control?

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

burned_board.jpg

• 3 weeks later...