4 dashes on Caldera Aspire

I've looked around and have seen this topic before but most threads stop before a solution is given. 

I am getting 4 dashes in the display of my caldera. The circ pump is working, water is coming out of the small jet undear the one seat. I tried removing the filter, jumping the pressure switch on the heater, removing the heater and blowing through to see if there is any debris and there isn't. I can blow air through from the inlet side but can't on the pressure which side but I would think that is normal, tried disconnecting power to the heater. These are all things I've read to try while looking for a solution. My manual says the the cause of the dashes is the high temp limit thermostat tripped. I would assume that's that's the sensor that screws in the the tub below the display panel? 

Any ideas or suggestions on what to try next?

38 minutes ago, Dan.The.Spa.Man said:

No, the hi limit is the one that is under the grey foam insulation located up against the heater....you can follow the wire from where it plugs into the control box.  I doubt it's that though.  They are incredibly reliable.  More likely the control board.

Does it look like a little rod attached with a hose clamp?

and really u think whole control board? How can I test to be sure?

19 hours ago, Dan.The.Spa.Man said:

actually I just realized you said it was an Aspire.  Unplug everything associated with the music system first.  Then see what happens.

Just tried that, still have the dashes. What next?

just want to add, there is no water in the tub right now. Don't knowmof that kaesma difference. I drained it so I could pull the heater and check for blockage. 

It costs a lot less to replace a hi limit sensor than to replace a circuit board.  You might try that first.

Another trick is to place the hi limit sensor into a glass of cold water.   Right now, sitting against your heater, the hi limit sensor may think your tub is over 112 degrees.  If we can get it to think the tub is within it's allowable range, it may allow the tub to run, assuming that's the problem.

You will have to power down the hot tub to clear the hi limit condition (if that is the problem).

Dave

5 hours ago, Jersey Hot Tub Repair said:

It costs a lot less to replace a hi limit sensor than to replace a circuit board.  You might try that first.

Another trick is to place the hi limit sensor into a glass of cold water.   Right now, sitting against your heater, the hi limit sensor may think your tub is over 112 degrees.  If we can get it to think the tub is within it's allowable range, it may allow the tub to run, assuming that's the problem.

You will have to power down the hot tub to clear the hi limit condition (if that is the problem).

Dave

tub's been empty and powered off for a few days now. stuck the sensor in a cup of ice water and still got the 4 dashes. Circuit board the only other option? I'm fairly handy, is that something i can replace myself?

I would still try replacing the hi limit sensor before replacing the circuit board.  The cold water trick was to see if the sensor was reporting an incorrect temperature.  If the sensor is stuck closed, you will need a new one.  And, it's a lot cheaper than a circuit board.

If you eventually change out the circuit board, take a couple of good photos and label the wires before you remove them.  It'll save you a lot of headaches.

Dave

• 2 years later...

Hello I also have 4 dashes however my water temp is 50 degrees so not high temp sensor....when I reset it will run for 40 minutes or so then back to four dashes. It hass done this before after a drain and refill after resetting several times it has gone away in the past...not today...suggestions?