Help with Intex Portable Spa Chlorine Floater and Levels

We recently bought the Intex 77" PureSpa on prime day. I've spent the last few days getting the pH and alkalinity just right but I've also been adding chlorine to the water via the included floater. I put 2 of the Clorox Pool & Spa Chlorinating Tablets (The primary Active Ingredient is trichloro-s-triazinetrione at 95%) for about 5 days the chlorine was around 2.0 ppm but I went out today and it was higher than my test kit could measure (5.0+ ppm). What happened? I took the top off and the evening sun is hitting the water so hopefully it has gone down some. If it helps I forgot to tun the filter and heater back on after replacing the filters yesterday. What can I do to prevent this in the Future.The water temperature is around 97 the Alkalinity is 80 and the pH is 7.4. The Clhorine Floater has two small holes in the bottom and a ring that turns to reveal 4 large rectangular holes. I kept it with only one of the large holes + the two on the bottom open.

• Michael Edwards changed the title to Help with Intex Portable Spa Chlorine Floater and Levels

I would pull it out for a day or two until the levels get back in range.

I've had this issue with a floater as well with My 200 Gal. tub. I think they're made for a bigger tub. I closed it all the way and it was still high. I ended up making a capsule out of PVC pipe and drilling a couple 1/32" holes. That slowed it down. I use mine when on vacation and want to maintain a 1 to 2 ppm chlorine level.

It's okay to use trichloro-s-triazinetrione initially or for short periods of time but you won't want to use it indefinitely. Your CYA will get to high which will cause problems. You can read more about this in the "Dichlor/bleach Method In A Nutshell" thread pinned at the top of the forum.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:41 PM, arobbert said:

I would pull it out for a day or two until the levels get back in range.

I've had this issue with a floater as well with My 200 Gal. tub. I think they're made for a bigger tub. I closed it all the way and it was still high. I ended up making a capsule out of PVC pipe and drilling a couple 1/32" holes. That slowed it down. I use mine when on vacation and want to maintain a 1 to 2 ppm chlorine level.

It's okay to use trichloro-s-triazinetrione initially or for short periods of time but you won't want to use it indefinitely. Your CYA will get to high which will cause problems. You can read more about this in the "Dichlor/bleach Method In A Nutshell" thread pinned at the top of the forum.

I know this discussion is kinda dead I let the chlorine drop down to about 2 and added it back in with the floater closed and blocked one of the holes. That seems to keep the Chlorine down between 1-2 ppm. I having yet another issue though. The spa has a really harsh chlorine smell when the bubbles are on. When they're off its has hardly any smell at all. I tried shocking it to about 20 ppm and leaving the cover off for a few hours. The Chlorine is back down to safe levels but the smell is still there. I'm actually thinking about switching to Bromine. I also want to get an accurate test kit but if I don't know if Taylor makes one that tests both chlorine and bromine since the above ground pool my great aunt is giving us has a sand filer and a SWG. Ill probably drain the spa and scrub it really good and let it air out for a day or two then set it up with bromine unless I hear otherwise

The chlorine smell is likely combined chlorines. You need a good test kit to test for them. Here are links with instructions on how to slam your tub and get rid of them. The instructions are for a pool but are the same for a hot tub.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

• 2 years later...