2002 Caldera Tahitian Wiring

wep1981

Hello everyone. I've been browsing the boards for a while now. We were handed a Caldera Tahitian Utopia hot tub from the wife's co-worker. I had a spa moving company deliver the hot tub but they left the sub panel. I have a question about wiring the sub panel.  I need one 20 amp and one 30 amp  GFCI breakers. Do I need double pole breakers or can get away using singe pole? I'm thinking of buying the materials from homedepot and assembling instead of purchasing the whole Caldera Sub panel  for $400. The plan of action is to purchase

50 amp breaker for main panel,

run 6/3 romex with ground through the house to the sub panel

then 2 thhn #12 from 20 amp breaker to hot tub and 3 thhn #10 from 30 amp to hot tub all in PVC. Plus Run one #10 insulated ground from sub to hot tub.

I'm also a little confused about this statement from the electrical installation part:

"Always ensure the white neutral wire is connected to the load neutral of the 30 amp breaker. "   What does this mean? 

I bought a used Caldera Kauai that came without the sub panel. I was able to buy the correct sub panel and breakers from a local electrician who specializes in hot tubs for $200. 

I didn't want to wire it differently than designed. Will your wife's co-worker let you have the Watkins dual breaker box?

Thanks for the replies. I will look around for electricians. 

I also want to test out the tub before buying everything. I have a Champion Generator that has 240 Volt AC, 30 Amp, single phase 60 Hz electrical loads. Can I run a plug from the generator to the hot tub and connect to the board for testing?