Help me decide - Caldera Utopia Genevia or Jacuzzi 480/575

Been reading a ton on the site, and have narrowed down my search to two brands, Caldera and Jacuzzi. Currently, I am being quoted $11800 for the Caldera and $14500 for the J-480 and $15500 for the J-575. 

I like the Jacuzzi a tiny bit better, but I dont think I like it 3k better, so I have a couple of questions. 

Any input on good prices for any of these models? I want to counter the dealer with my offer. 

Any input on differences between Caldera and Jacuzzi in their flagship lines? 

I only want to buy once and cry once, so any input is helpful. 

I have wet tested both and they are both great. 

Price-wise, you're in two different sandboxes.  Like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac.  Both brands are quality tubs.

My greatest concern, once you determine what your budget is, would be which dealer has the best reputation for service.  If it's the same dealer and you like both tubs, you have to decide is the Jacuzzi worth the extra $3000?  You said you like it a bit more - mind if I ask why?

From a service standpoint, all those pretty lights on the Jacuzzi are a bear to replace because they are hidden inside foam and require a lot of labor to access the LEDs.  The point is, unless you're going to do it yourself, should you have to pay $300-$500 to replace a light bulb? Also, look up the price of a new topside for both the Jacuzzi and the Caldera spa.  You're going to see a huge difference in price.  Remember that in 5 or 6 years when your warranty runs out.  Jacuzzi electronics are proprietary and more expensive than Caldera (not that Caldera is cheap).

The extra $3K on the Jacuzzi will be even higher when you figure in the cost of repairs and service over the lifetime of the tub.

Dave

Interestingly enough, I went and sat in the 3 4 and 5 series. The 3 series fit me the best, and I realize that the 3 series is closer in price range, but the numbers are a bit reversed. 

The J 375 is being offered at 10,600 and the Utopia still at 11,800, making the Caldera the higher price point. 

I'll look up cost of shell and service repairs post warranty, I didn't realize everything Jacuzzi has is proprietary! 

Sold both, like both. The J300 line is hard to beat. It may not have all the bells, but it is a solid proven line. Plastic pan keeps the frame from rotting too. Covers on 4&5 are more custom/require special lifters.

stopped selling caldera in '02, still selling jacuzzi.

reguardless, buy from a dealer that offers good service it can be worth it when problems arise, and they will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...