Pump running time

spa25986

Hi folks! Hope all is well. I am a new guy here and this is my first post. Glad that I found this site. 

I recently purchased an Intex 120 Bubble Jets 4 Person Octagonal PureSpa, from walmart. I am trying to figure out how long should the filter be run to keep the water clean?

The manual says, Filter pump fl ow rate: 460 gal/hr (1,741 L/hr)  and the spa holds 210 gallons. 

I have estimated that if I run the pump for 28 minutes a day, that should be long enough to turnover the entire volume of water and clean it.

Did I estimate correctly?

Thank You

I own a Coleman Lay-z-spa which is similar to yours but is made by Bestway, so the pump may be a little different. However, they are similar enough that I think they work about the same. On my spa, you have the option to turn the filter off if you want, but when you turn it off no water circulates, and you can not heat the water.

My wife and I use the spa on average for about 10 sessions per week, so we keep the filter and heater on 24 hours a day. I think this is the way it is designed to be used.

If you let the water cool down to ambient temperature, it will take quite a while to heat it up for use, especially in cooler weather.

2 hours ago, MPurcell said:

I own a Coleman Lay-z-spa which is similar to yours but is made by Bestway, so the pump may be a little different. However, they are similar enough that I think they work about the same. On my spa, you have the option to turn the filter off if you want, but when you turn it off no water circulates, and you can not heat the water.

My wife and I use the spa on average for about 10 sessions per week, so we keep the filter and heater on 24 hours a day. I think this is the way it is designed to be used.

If you let the water cool down to ambient temperature, it will take quite a while to heat it up for use, especially in cooler weather.

Thank you for your reply. I intend to use it monday and thursday night only. So i figured i will turn it on, sun and wed night. 24hrs will definitely raise it from 80 to 104. But what i needed to know was how how long do you run your water filter pump for? thank you

You can let the water go down to ambient temperature as long as you keep the water chemistry balanced and sanitized. For that purpose, 1 hour of circulation per day should be sufficient. Two times thirty minutes per day at 12 hour intervals may be better, but would be more inconvenient. If you use chlorine, never let the free chlorine level fall below 2 ppm at any time, and with a CYA of 30 ppm you should target 4-6 ppm free chlorine. Do your testing while or just after the circulation pump is running.

• 3 years later...

I have just purchased an Intex spa, and find you can not set a (timer) to allow off and on settings.  If you leave for a weeks vacation......what to do?  Drain the spa?, leave it off and contend with water chemistry upon return?

New guy here and this thread is closert I can find.

Thanks,

Jim