2009 Jacuzzi J480 leaking

I like to get some input from the forum members, we have 2009 J-480 (built Sept. of 2009). Last week I noticed a water leak from the base of the spa and I also believe the waterfall is leaking. The spa only leaks when the right side pump is activated. When the right pump is activated it sends water to the foot dome and both right seats and I believe the rear center jets. The water leak is appearing at the right rear corner from under / bottom of the base of the spa. I have removed 3/4 of the outside panels ( front, left side, left and right rear) starting with left side where the water leak was found. the only moisture I found was in the rear middle under the waterfall. After drying the wet area I closed the valve for the waterfall and turned each pump on separately and that is when it noticed the spa leaking from the base with the right pump activated.

i called my local Jacuzzi dealer and they will come out and trouble shoot it for $85.00 an hour. The rep told me it can take from 2-5 hours depending on how much trouble shooting is required. If the foot dome jets (located on the floor of the spa) are leaking the spa will have to be placed on its side to remove the bottom base to access the jets. He will have to call his spa movers to accomplish this at an additional cost of $200-$300. So I am looking at the high side of $725 for troubleshooting and then the cost of fixing the leak.

My wife wants a new spa since we have had two pumps, main board, and temp sensor replace during the warranty period. In addition I had to replace the stereo power module once after 2 years of ownership and the stereo stopped working last year and I believe the stereo power module is the culprit again but I never fixed it. Next spa will definely not have a stereo. 

The dealer that sold us our J480 no longer sells Jacuzzi and now sells Bull Frog. We stopped at another dealer that sells Caldera and Bull Frog spas and my wife likes the Caldera Utopia Cantabria. 

I am thinking it is going to cost us around $1,000 to fix our J480. My concern is if there is two leaks will others manifest down the road. We where quoted a price of $17,200 for the Caldera Cantabria ( I did not negotiate since I was only looking). Part of me wants to fix the J480 which is the cheapest option but a new spa is enticing. 

• 3 years later...

Hi.

I know it's an old thread, but did you ever get to the bottom of the leaks? 

I also have a j480 with similar leaks

I found the waterfall divertor leaking, fixed that. And now still a leak bottom right plus the same moisture ar the back under the waterfalls.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Andy

• 8 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 7:52 AM, A1Andy said:

Hi.

I know it's an old thread, but did you ever get to the bottom of the leaks? 

I also have a j480 with similar leaks

I found the waterfall divertor leaking, fixed that. And now still a leak bottom right plus the same moisture ar the back under the waterfalls.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Andy

A1Andy, I'm not sure what year my j480 is to be honest, but was interested how you fixed the waterfall diverter ... simple as an o-ring? Middle of winter here 0F and I started losing water through what I believe is the diverter ...(its leaking gently)