Bromine or chlorine for hot tub?

Susanj

There's so many different opinions you just don't know what to think.

I called the hot tub dealer because I had a question about the ozonater and how to know if it's not working . There really is no way she told me , since it comes on when the jets come on so you wouldn't notice the extra bubbles . Basically my model is only supposed to last 18 to 24 months.

But this is what I mean about difference of opinion- I asked her if most people in her experience use bromine in their hot tub and she said hardly anyone. 
From what I've read most people use bromine and it's superior for hot tubs.

She did say in our situation with a vacation rental it might be better because it takes less maintenance , less frequent checking , needing sanitizer less often. 

When they sell a hot tub and take away the old one, she said you can always tell who's been using bromine because the tub is smelly and damaged , almost like it's deteriorating. 

She also said bromine is harsher on swimsuits & skin . I have read the opposite. 

So I asked her if we wanted to switch over to chlorine with our next fill, how would we do that? She recommended Jet Purge or Clean Starter (which apparently is like Ahh- Some). Put it in and run the jets an hour, or every hour for overnight. Drain , flushing jets with a hose. 

Then , besides using Dichlor (weekly with average use of 2-3 people 2-3 X a week) she suggested MPS-as a booster. 

Also a product called Silk Balance , a buffer that locks in pH and alkalinity and is a biofilm disperser.

Go back to the forums in the Hot Tub Water Chemistry section and check on the topics. You will likely find one that fits your questions. For me, with a vacation spa, I use the bromine method set forth in that forum. I also installed an ozonator that runs on my 24-7 circulation pump, so water has stayed clear and clean for weeks at a time. Regular monitoring is still necessary to assure good total alkalinity and pH. The DelOzone system I use has a test unit that is installed into the ozone line to show whether ozone is being produced. The test is recommended after the system has  been in use for months to a year or so, depending on extent of use. I am probably overdue since my system runs 24/7 and has been in operation for a little over one year. The other factor is bather use. Mine is used by my wife and I, sans suits, infrequently due to our schedules to get there, often going 3 weeks between visits/uses. So we pollute our water very little, always showering first, not using lotions after shower, even sunscreen. If your vacation property and spa are used  by strangers you will have other demands/needs. Chlorine is the best sanitizer but requires more upkeep/replenishment, but less compatible than bromine with ozone. Go to the water chem forum and spent an hour reading. You will find some very willing chemists and spa professionals who will guide you.