Ahhsome and Decontamination

Hey Guys,

I am a Ahhsome user and it is time to clean the tub and do a water change.  I plan to super chlorinate using Nitro's recommendation in the decontamination sticky after using the Ahhsome, but was wondering what the downsides are to not draining between the Ahhsome and the super chlorination.  I have a 470 gal tub and it's a lot of water to drain and refill.  I am sure there is a good reason for the recommendation, just wondering what that reason is.

Edit:  I found the time to read through all the posts in the Decon thread, and it seems it would be fine, just maybe use more chlorine to kill the lossened gunk that didn't stick to the sides and get wiped off..  Anything else I should consider?

BR,  Byl

Hi Crowbait:  You can just add the Ahh-Some to flush and purge the plumbing without adding a lot of sanitizer. Our instructions mention adding adequate sanitizer when purging because some of the biofilm purged may be harmful to someone with a compromised immune system.  Most of the time it is not necessary to chlorinate since the water at the time of purging has adequate sanitizer already.  Do not overdose.  Ahh-Some is a concentrated gel that does NOT work better when more is used..

One level teaspoon of gel for each 150'gallons is all you need for water that has under 500 ppm Calcium hardness.

• 1 month later...

Ahhsomeguy, I just bought the 6oz ahhsome to do my first purge on a Hotspring spa with the ACE SWCG. I have a question about their ceramic filters.

Can I just add the 3 teaspoons ahhsome directly into the water with the five Tri x filters already in the bottom of the tub to have the filter cleaned that way or am I better off to remover the filters prior to adding ahhsome so no additional gunk is introduced to the filters? Thanks

Place the filters (inside the hot tub while the purge is taking place).  Let the Ahh-Some seep deep into the pleats to remove whatever nasties are harboring inside.  Hose them off before you place them inside the tub that is filled with hot water.  Hose them off after the purge is done, usually less than 30 minutes.  Be sure to NOT use more Ahh-Some gel than what we say.  More is NOT better.  Lastly, when you see the brown detritus gunk that is removed from the plumbing be sure to wipe it off with a micro-fiber cloth so it doesn't cake and adhere to the acrylic surface.  Remove any removable pillows before the purge is started.  Have an Ahh-Some day.