SWG Upstream of Pool Heater

spozz

Hello. I bought a house that has an 8,000 gallon saltwater pool. It has the Sta-Rite Max-E Therm 400 pool heater and the Jandy PLC 1400 salt cell. I noticed that the salt cell is installed BEFORE the heater. The water goes from the pump to the filter to the salt cell to the heater and then to the pool. Looking at the heater manual, the salt cell is supposed to be installed after the heater. There is about 5-6 feet of pipe between the outlet of the salt cell and the inlet of the heater. I understand that high chlorine concentration in the water coming out of the salt cell could corrode the heating elements of the heater, but would the concentration remain high 5-6 feet downstream of the salt cell where the water goes into the heater? Is this a big problem that could corrode the heater elements? (I know the name of the installer, but apparently the installation was about 3 years ago, so they probably would not take responsibility.)

• 2 weeks later...

Everything in your post is accurate.  Having said that, just relocate the cell to where it should be yourself, or pay to have it done.  Sometimes its not worth the stress of trying to pursue problems with an old install... Unless of course you're up for it.