high costs (netherlands)

dunja

hi everyone: question I Live in The Netherlands, I have an outdoor spa Jacuzzi (dutch made),

https://www.fonteynspas.com/spa/alle-modellen/spa-relax-3/

now my energy costs are very high, I mean 95 usd EXTRA a month just for the spa (energy costs are probably cheaper in the USA, so ignore that please)
and heating it up is like 1 degrees an hour, so if I put fresh water in it, then it will take 35 hours to heat up to 35 degrees (balboa system, not the economic mode)
I refresh like every 4 months, summers sooner.

does any know a better/cheaper way to heat it up, and spare money each month.
not sure if there exist more economic pumps or anything

please let me know

thanks for all the help

Let me ask a dumb question:  Do you have a cover on your hot tub?

>>>  and any ideas of a cheaper solution? of is buying a more expensive Jacuzzi a better idea?

Hmmm, spend 5000 euros to cut your $95 USD electric bill in half?  You'll have to tell me if that's a better idea :)

Do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to use it?  We can check the heater element to see if it's working, if you're comfortable working around high voltage.

Hi Dunja,

I also live in the Netherlands, in general a hot tube as you described will consume in the Netherlands on average 500 euro /year to keep the water warm on the adjusted temperature also none as the Standby cost. Taken into account that it he tube is not placed in the middle of an open field, because it will easily cost the double amount or more. This also depending how good the insulation is of the tube and cover. In general for a 5000 euro Tube the insulation isn't that great.

The 3kW heater that is used should be able to heat up the water 1,5-2 degrees hour.

Since this tube is connected to 220V/16 it means that the heater will be turned off when the pump is active. This will cool down the water during use.

During use this type of tube will cost on average 1-2 euro per hour. In the winter it will be more because the water will cooldown rapidly.

To check how good the isolation is, check with your hand if heat is leaking between cover and tube, secondly also check the insulation of the cabinet on heat leaks

To reduce the cost fill the tube with hot water from you "combiketel"

You could also use an extra winter cover, check-out www.bootzeil.nl/hoes-hoesjes-hoezen-op-maat-dekzeil/jacuzzi-hoezen/ They make isolated covers they say can reduce the standby energy cost up to 75%. 

If you have more questions let me know.

That takes a long time to heat with 3kW, I have a 3kW heater in my hot tub and it rises 3°c to 4°c per hour, and that is heating 1700l of water. 

I'm more worried about water costs here in Belgium and have filled  mine with ground water, it takes a few days to get the water clear removing the iron and raising the Ph to over 7, Having a large solar panel array to off set the electricity costs helps!

I work in the Netherlands.

The power there is 16 amps 230V 50 HZ,  per phase on most houses available to spas.

I believe the Fonteyn spa is actually made in China.  (Did they rebuild their facility after that huge fire?)

The insulation on the cabinet is minimal.  I suggest you look at the insulation and find away to increase it and stop all cold air leaks.

The humidity in Nederalands is very high, and this greatly reduces the effectiveness of an "air chamber",because the air is filled with moisture. Dry air works the best.
The only type of Air Chamber insulation that is effective is a completely closed air tight system, with no cold air entering the cabinet. There is only one spa company in NL who does that. This reduces the 77% humidity typical of NL winters to less than 19% inside the cabinet. 

A "thermal blanket" which is a 6.35 MM flexible foam cut to fit just on top of the water will help quite a bit.  It adds about R-10 to the to of the spa and compensates for lower quality covers.  Take some time to cut it very close to the form of the edge of the water line. 

Another choice is if you are close to a hot water heat source you can install a hot water heat exchanger system inside your spa to heat using gas heat from your house.  Solar in NL is very low watt density per square meter, but it can be done.  Using hot water collection from the roof. 

thanks for your reply, no they are not made in china, because i had to take a look at other spa's they had stored, and i say them making new ones as well (maybe the form of the spa is from china, but they make the rest them selves.

which company makes the ones that reduces 77% humidity?

Hi Dunja,

Last weekend I went to the well know cheap Cranenbroek store to search for a slipcover for my spa, to protect the spa cover against the razorblades of cats.

They sell those black slipcovers to protect your furniture in the garden. These covers fit almost perfect of my Spa and have a nice elastic band at the bottom and they are just 36 euro.  It nicely protects the spa from external weather conditions, etc.

The good thing is, it also save significant amount of energy. My standby energy consumption came down from 7kW/day to 5,5-6 kW/day, this under more or less same weather condition from the last two weeks. Roughly a saving of 1kW/day. Great return on investment. J

I will also try the suggestion of Jim to add a “thermal Blanket” the Neoprene ones are quite expensive (150 euro). I will first try to add a sheet of thick bubble foil on top of the water, to see if this will reduce energy consumption even further.

I’ll keep you informed.

Spa_small.jpg