Can't keep bromine level up

Delph

Hello,

we've had our new caldera salina spa for about 3 weeks now, with the in line spa frog bromine system. We cannot keep a good level of bromine in the water, no matter what we do! the highest we've seen it was at 2ppm and that was after shocking with an oxidizing shock treatment. Stayed up for a day and went back down to zero... Non chlorine shock doesn't seem to help at all, but we use it after every use. I don't use the chlorine shock as often, as I heard it is harsher on the tub and shouldn't be used on a regular basis.

Would you say it's a  biofilm problem from the wet testing done at the manufacture? We're planning on flushing and draining if it doesn't get better...I contacted Caldera who told me it was unlikely, but that we could super-chlorine the spa...haven't looked into that yet

Also, i find it very hard to get good results from the test strips. we got the AquaCheck digital thing, but the results are always very different than the ones at Leslie's pool supplies...I tend to trust them more than the machine. Should I?

Thanks!! 

It sounds like you do not have an adequate bromide bank in your tub. If you did not add sodium bromide to the tub when you filled it, then you should purchase a sodium bromide product, preferably 100% sodium bromide, and add about 2 oz for you approx. 400 gallon tub (1/2 oz per 100 gallons) to create a bromide bank of about 30 ppm. I don't know what Leslie's brand name is, but you should get a product such as "Brilliance Start up for Spas" which usually comes in a 2 oz packet, or something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my Taylor K 2106 and it showed a level of 11ppm for bromine!!! while the test strips still showed maybe 1 or 2 at most. And I didn't change anything since I thought we would drain soon...now thats a crazy difference! So I guess I don't have a problem to keep my bromine levels up

The FAS-DPD bromine test is a little time sensitive. If you let the dye powder sit in the sample water, it will get darker and take more drops to titrate to clear. If you are new to performing the test, you might get a result that is slightly higher than the actual reading.

Once you get used to doing the test, you can use 10 ml of sample water so that 1 drop = 1.25 ppm. Put the R-0870 DPD powder into the sample while already swirling, and then while still swirling and as soon as possible after adding the powder, add the drops of R-0872 (FAS) reagent as quickly as is consistent with getting good drop size. I put the vial on a flat surface and swirl with my right hand while putting the drops in with my left hand. To make the testing process much easier you could purchase a Taylor Speed Stir. It will also make the TA and CH tests easier, and make your friends think you are a real chemistry geek. You can get the speed stir from Amato Industries for under $30.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course it is biofilm.  All hot tubs from any factory are loaded with it.  We have flushed over 155 new tubs that have never been used and they all had Biofilm..  no matter what the dealers tells you, flush the plumbing.  This will allow you to get started on solid ground.