Inground Spa and Pool question for a beginner

andros47

I just bought a new house and have no idea how to operate the in ground spa and pool. I have attached pics of the plumbing and was wondering if someone could explain the valves to me. The former owner said put the two valves closest to me if I were standing in front (the top and bottom one) to the left - but when I do that the spa drains. If i just put the top one to the right and the bottom one to the left, the spa overflows into the pool. I don't touch the far one closest to the house as that is the pool cleaner. The one to the far right, I have no idea what that does.

The spa does not get hot, I turn the heater to spa or to pool mode, the heater is hot, the water doesn't get hot. Don't quite know what to do. Here the pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dkjw5jcdezks8jm/AAAmSsuM6niP4-ezmolcDj6ma?dl=0

Picture 4, valve for cleaner. Handle needs to be pointing towards the right.  This will keep the spa from draining when in spa mode. Make note of valve position BEFORE turning valve to the right.  That valve position has been set for a specific pressure/flow to make the cleaner operate correctly, and needs to be returned to that position when you are done with using the spa.

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 9:05 PM, andros47 said:

I just bought a new house and have no idea how to operate the in ground spa and pool. I have attached pics of the plumbing and was wondering if someone could explain the valves to me. The former owner said put the two valves closest to me if I were standing in front (the top and bottom one) to the left - but when I do that the spa drains. If i just put the top one to the right and the bottom one to the left, the spa overflows into the pool. I don't touch the far one closest to the house as that is the pool cleaner. The one to the far right, I have no idea what that does.

The spa does not get hot, I turn the heater to spa or to pool mode, the heater is hot, the water doesn't get hot. Don't quite know what to do. Here the pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dkjw5jcdezks8jm/AAAmSsuM6niP4-ezmolcDj6ma?dl=0

Why not go to your local pool chemical store or the orignal installer and ask for a pool school.  May cost a little money, but well worth it.  Additionally, some pool owners take the certification classes to be a certified pool cleaner and use that knowledge to protect the asset that is a pool.

'Asset' used lightly.  But the last thing you want to do is take pool maintenance lightly and damage the pool, costing you much more!