Coleman/Maax 351dD Spa 460 Mach3 El2000 Question/Issues

I have a OHH flashing error code with cold as heck water. Can it be cleared or is it the system board? The thermistors have a resistance of 37.7 and 37.5 kohms.

We've had this spa since new ~'06 replaced the pump 2 years ago. The topside panel became unreadable and was replaced under warranty. That became unreadable several years ago. Function was OK.

A few days ago the spa and its top side control began to become unresponsive and had a "mind of its own".

I replaced it with a new top side control to read the possible errors.

I started with: 'HOt'
I cleared that by doing a power down-TEST MODE (using DIP SWITCHES)-power up
now I have the 'OHH' 

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated!

Tim

HOt means the spa thinks it can't turn the pump off.  It usually is caused by the circuit board getting too hot.

The OHH is an overheat error, meaning that one of the sensors in the heater thinks the spa water has gone above 118 degrees.

The most frequent cause of OHH is bad flow, which is often related to a pump failure. 

an OH error, which is trigged when the temp goes over 112, is often caused by dirty filters.  Multiple OH errors will cause the tub to shut down and give you an OHH.

So, first check to make sure your filters are clean.  Not just looking clean, but make sure there's no sticky residue in them, which can be caused by shampoo, hair conditioner and skin lotion.  If you're getting an OHH error, I doubt that's the issue, but it's a cheap repair worth looking at.

Which pump in your spa was replaced 2 years ago?  In most of the Coleman spa's I've worked on, pump 1 is used for running the heater, so I'd begin my diagnosing there.  Does that JET1 button do anything?  If it does, I'd visually inspect the circuit board to see if there's any apparent damage, such as burn marks.

Thanks Dave!

The filter was cleaned and inspected...looked like it always does...clean.

I have one(1) 2-speed pump.  The spa is currently in STANDBY (on its own).  The pump runs on low for a few seconds every so often.  Very quite no noises.  Good water flow...etc..

NO button does anything.  The spa light won't come on via the top side control.  When power is first applied the top side control displays theses four numbers in sequential order: 100, 114, 21, 240.  The OHH then appears.  Any idea what this 'bootup' sequence is telling me?  If I put it in TEST mode I can't get menus per the attached instruction on Balboa website.  I'm not sure they apply to my 10 year old unit...?  Thanks many time over for your help! 

I would first check your incoming voltage, then I would check how the board boots up with different components disconnected.  

With the topside disconnected, a Balboa spa will go through it's 5-7 minute boot up, then turn on at its default settings.

from what you've described, it could be the circuit board, I'm just offering a few suggestions to delay buying a circuit board until you've eliminated less expensive problemse.

Dave: Should I start with everything unhooked including the heater?  (thermistors (2), spa light (1), top side panel (1), pump (1), and ozone generator (1))

Voltages: Black-Red: 232  Neutral White-Red:116

Fuses: removed and all measured 0-.1 ohms

Many thanks!

Tim

Dave: tried booting with everything unhooked (except heater and Pump).  Did this in TEST and then Normal operating mode.  The F2 light and JETS1 light come on 4 minutes after turning the spa on in both modes.  I then hooked up the ozone and spa light one at a time rebooting after each.  Same end result.  I've attached a screen shot of the top control in TEST mode and a wider shot in normal operating mode.  They're from the video I took to capture any possible message...sorry for the poor focus.  The F2 and JETS1  light are obvious.

Tim

test mode top side.JPG

So, now I'm at my computer instead of my phone so I can type a little better. 

F2 usually indicates flow issues.  Once again, dirty filters, physical plumbing obstruction or pump.

You said the pump runs on low speed for a few seconds and stops.  It could be the circuit board turning it off, or the internal cut-off switch in the pump.

If you feel confident in your electrical abilities, connect the pump directly to a regular electrical outlet.  We just want to make sure it works.  Check both the high speed and low speed circuits.  I use a test cable made from an old computer power cord, only I put spade connectors on the white and red wires.  If you have a 230VAC pump, it may work on a 115VAC outlet.  I'd say about 75% of the time, it does.  You're not going to let it run for hours, just for 20 or 30 seconds to make sure it doesn't cut off.  You may be able to test the pump using another 4 pin amp connector on the circuit board.  You'll need a voltmeter to see which connectors are providing the proper voltage.

If you can verify the pump works, then the issue is in the circuit board.  Use a volt meter to check the 4 pin amp connector on the board that the pump is connected to.  Match up using the pump wire harness to figure out which wire coincides with which plug.  You want to check two circuits: black to white and red to white.  You should see voltage being controlled by the topside press of the JETS button.  If not, the board is not obeying the topside.

Some Balboa circuit boards have two jack for the topside.  If the regular jack doesn't work, try the second jack.

Now, if the board is still not obeying the topside, the problem is either the topside or the board.  Disconnect the topside.  Power up the spa.  Wait 5-7 minutes.  Do the pumps come on?  If so, the problem is more likely the topside.

Thanks again Dave for your time!

I can hear the main board's relay clicking the pump off after 30 seconds (same every time).  I powered the pump using the same voltages being supplied by my PUMP1 jack (Fluke 87 meter used).  It ran in low mode for several minutes-then I killed power.  Jets open flow good normal.  I tried my old topside control (while unreadable but had full button function).  I tried the second topside control jack on both top side controllers,  The voltages at my PUMP1 jack DO NOT change when I press the JETS1 button (for either topside control.  I simply can't get past the OHH error code!  I even did a OFF-TEST MODE ON (until fully booted and pump ran)-OFF-PERSISTENT MEMORY RESET ON (until booted)-OFF-then back on ...no change OHH...:)  I have attached the wiring diagram for my spa.  Tim

58bb3118b63f8_460Schematic.thumb.JPG.bb3e4c64f165d8d12835607231783994.JPG

The unit started working some time late yesterday.  I left it with the OHH code showing on the topside, and the Balboa genie visited and got it past the OHH code!  I checked it as I was headed to bed and saw the control panel light with a temperature of 80F.  JETS1 was lit and slow pump running pressed it and it went into HI speed mode.  Set the temp to 104F and went to bed.  I've been in it twice this morning...clean water, new filter, and a topside panel I can read with 104F water...:)

Dave thanks for your help!

Tim

The PUMP 1 voltage shouldn't change from a press of the JETS button IF the spa is calling for heat.  It runs the pump at low speed to draw the water over the heater elements. 

As far as the Balboa genie coming over and clearing your OHH error, congratulations.  I can't explain it, but it's hard to figure out what's going on from a web post, because there might be something visual you don't know to look for that a spa technician would instantly recognize.  But it's working know, so life's good.

• 5 years later...

Hey so I’ve read through this forum and done all the steps, my maax spa has the same issues described but unfortunately the balboa genie did not come to visit and I’m still having the same issues. I’m seriously considering replacing the board but I’m wondering if their are any other steps left/would you recommend replacing the board or something else? Everything he described is exactly the same as my situation.