ACE Salt System and Consistently Zero Free Chlorine

Laura Enders

We purchased a new Hot Springs Vanguard Spa with an ACE Salt System this fall.  Since being installed the ACE System has never produced sufficient chlorine for us.  At first we were using it (2 of us) daily for about an hour or so each time which I understand is very high use; and I understand the need to supplement some chlorine.  Now, however, we are using the hot tub quite a bit less, 2 of us, 2-3 times a week, usually for no more than 30-40 minutes... but there's never any free chlorine when we go to get in.  If I am diligent about adding a little and running the clean cycle each time we get out of the tub, we will maintain an appropriate level, but never without supplementing with granules.  I have tried to boost and increased the output to 10 but it still never makes a difference.  I have also cleaned the cell - I just did it today and I didn't see it bubble at all while it sat in the cleaning solution for 10 minutes.  I also verified my salt level with a test strip and the salt levels are correct.  I thought perhaps this was just an overuse issue but surely they don't charge so much for a system that simply doesn't work, do they?  

I suspect the high chlorine demand is from something other than bathing. Probably biofilm in your plumbing.

I would get some Ahh-Some for spas and do as many treatments/refills as necessary until the foam shows no contaminants.