Ozone Problems

huddsean

OK I acquired a 2000 Cal spa 2100 with an old obsolete ozone on it so I tossed it and installed an Aqua Sun XL-50. I dont know if the ozone is getting to the tub. The tube for the ozone disappears behind the pumps and spa pack and into a hard plastic covering the foam insulated plumbin so I dont know where it ties in. The generator is working just fine. Before I plugged in the check valve I blew into the pipe as hard as I could and I cannot get air to go through it even if the pump is running or not. I dont see how that little generator is going to get air through the line.  The return has little bubbles whether the generator is plugged in or not and I dont know if my sniffer is good enough to smell ozone or not. any help would be appreciated.

Sean 

The check valve is a one way valve that stops water from backing up into the tube and going into the ozonator, which would short it out.  You can only blow into one direction.

So, if the check valve is connected to the hose going into the tub and disconnected on the side leading to the ozonator, you should be able to blow into it.  If you can't the valve is either bad or installed backwards. 

You will get bubbles if the ozonator is turned on or off.  That tube is plumbed into a hose, and as the water moves through the hose it creates suction that pulls air through the tube.  If that air has ozone in it, you get ozone in the tub.

I don't think you'd be able to smell the ozone even if you put the tube directly into your nostril, but ozone has a sweetish smell that sort of reminds you of thunder storms.

Most ozone generators use a UV bulb to generate ozone, and the bulb's good for about a year. 

There's probably a venturi fitting where the 3/8" ozone line goes into the plumbing.  That venturi usually has a check valve as well.  Just google "ozone venturi hot tub" and you'll get dozen of web sites with photos, instructions and parts for sale.

I wouldn't blow compressed air into the line, I'd trace it and figure out where the venturi is.