Breaker Tripping

Tootall

Hi all, trying to figure out a gfci breaker tripping problem on our 02 Grandee. Wired 220v with GE gfci breakers one 20 and 30  amp both are double pole  

I first noticed the issue a couple weeks back, simply put, the breaker trips (1/2 trip actually) when trying to turn on jets, the jets never attempt to start, it trips breaker instantly.

So here it gets confusing:  

Either jets button will randomly make it trip, not every time, but if turn it on/off a few times then it will.

i tried diadnosing by turning off 30 amp breaker thus disabling heater, and disconnecting things from the 120v side, first the ozonator, still tripped.

Next tried re-circ pump, still tripped.  Then one jet pump, still tripped.

Then second jet pump, it held.  Of course nothing pulling any draw so why wouldn't it.

then i hooked up the first jet pump, tripped again.  Unhooked that jet pump hooked up just recirc pump, tripped again.

unhook recirc, connect ozonator, tripped it.

Basically if anything at all is plugged in i can make it trip randomly by pressing jets button, (either button).

Also happens on either control pad in same random fashion.

any ideas?  GFCI breaker?  Relay board? Circuit board?  

Thanx for any help.

Did you actually remove wires from the control pak all together and see if breaker will  reset? How old are your breakers? and what wiring are you running to the spa? I basically had the same situation and replaced new 50amp GFCI and wiring from GFCI to spa and now works fine.

You said you haven't removed the wires from the control pack.  How are you disconnecting the components without removing the wires?

You said you disconnected the 120V line.  To disconnect the pumps, you want to disconnect both the black & white wires (or black, red & white if a two speed pump).  If your accessproes are wired 220V, the white wire isn't really a Neutral, it's a second voltage leg.  So you haven't really disconnected the pumps/ozonator, you've just disconnected one leg of their power.

sorry yes, I am removing the wires from the bottom edge of the iq control pack.

I meant I had not removed the actual wires from the breaker.

I have black, white and green wires, I removed all three from the control board.

Only time the jets button won't make the breaker trip is with all 4 devices disconnected, any 1 device plugged back on, the jets button can make the 20am gfci trip.

Just for kicks, I'd try disconnecting the light.  But assuming that's not going to be the issue:

So if only your circ pump is connected and turn the breaker on, the circ pump runs fine.  But if you press the Jets button, it trips?

If that's the case, I'm going to guess the problem is either the Jets button itself (which means the control panel), the wire connecting the panel to the circuit board, or the circuit board.  It shouldn't be the pumps because you're tripping with the pumps disconnected.  

First, check the cable from the control panels to the circuit board.  Sometimes mice get in their and nibble on things.  If they damage the sheathing maybe you've got wires touching.

If that looks okay, then try disconnecting the Aux control panel and see if the problem persists. 

I don't know if your tub will run with the main control panel disconnected, but if it still trips after you disconnect the Aux panel, it wouldn't hurt to reconnect the Aux, disconnect the main, and see if it still trips.  But you may need a Spare Main control panel to test that.

I didn't try the light, but all my other tests were with light off.

I don't think it's the button as both jets1 and jets2 buttons can make it trip, and both the main panel and the spaside panel can also make it trip.

I will check the wires and if things look in tact, im going to try a breaker, at that old it should probably be replaced anyway.

thanks, I'll report back if it fixes it in case others have the same problem later.

While I've never encountered it, someone on this board metioned they were getting intermittent circuit breaker trips and resolved it down to corrosion on ground wires. 

If I were you, I'd definitely get my electrician to replace the breakers before spending the money to replace an IQ circuit board.