Has Anyone Used Clear Choice?

Our local spa shop has a chemical free water treatment called clear choice. I guess in short in adds good bacteria to fight bad bacteria, almost like a natural eco system? Anyone used it or familiar with it, any advice?

thanks

You might not want to sit in the middle of a bacteria war. MHO. Chlorine is your friend, just use the right ammount.

• 4 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=2597:date=Nov 10 2005, 06:16 AM:name=jamie future spa owner)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamie future spa owner @ Nov 10 2005, 06:16 AM) 2597[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Our local spa shop has a chemical free water treatment called clear choice. I guess in short in adds good bacteria to fight bad bacteria, almost like a natural eco system? Anyone used it or familiar with it, any advice?

thanks

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You might not want to sit in the middle of a bacteria war. MHO. Chlorine is your friend, just use the right ammount.

I use Clear Choice and I love , love, love it! I don't use any other chemicals and my water is clear, clean and easily maintained. I have a 1300 gallon swim spa and use about 70 drops a month. this is amazing.. no chemicals!!!!

As they describe here, "mimics the rhythms of a natural body of water" where they do not kill bacteria but where "Clear Choice also contains a special nutrient (food) that sustains the healthy enzymes we need but will not feed any type of infectious bacteria that we do not want." Enzymes that we need??? Nutrient (food) to sustain enzymes -- what in the world are they talking about? So now you can have a lake in your tub where you can get recreational water illnesses. The difference between a natural lake is that you are releasing lots of fecal bacteria into the hot tub water where they can grow quickly since the water is much warmer. Unless the Clear Choice enzymes specifically breakdown critical components of these bacteria, such as their cell walls, then such bacteria could grow to harmful proportions.

Enzymes are great for supplemental oxidation (the oxidizer can be oxygen, but enzymes speed up the process) so can break down bather waste, but they do not normally kill bacteria, inactivate viruses, nor inactivate protozoan oocysts. As with all alternative products that are not EPA-approved disinfectants, you can just take a chance since there are no regulations forcing you to use anything at all in your own residential pool or spa. Just don't fool yourself into thinking your spa is disinfected. You can't even use bacteria test strips since Clear Choice is intended to keep bacteria in the spa.

If it is the smell of Bromine or Chlorine that you are trying to avoid, you may want to look into the Nature2 spa cartridges. These slide into the middle of your filter, using silver to effectively sanitize your spa (Nature2 Express swimming pool version available also) which is a proven water sanitizer used for hundreds, if not thousands of years. The only "chemicals" you will have to use, is a small amount of "oxygen shock" known as Potassium Monopersulfate after use to destroy any potentially harmful bacteria and viruses. This method is completely safe, scentless, and sanitary.

Nature2 with MPS non-chlorine shock is an EPA-approved disinfectant FOR SPAS ONLY because the silver ions with MPS require hot spa water to pass EPA DIS/TSS-12. For pools, there are only three EPA-approved sanitizers (these are also approved for spas): chlorine, bromine and Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB.

Bottom line is this, if it is not an EPA approved spa sanitizer then I would be very uncomfortable of getting in the spa because of the very real risk of waterborne illnesses. Realize that someone could sell you a magnet or a copper rod and say it will keep your water clean (oh wait, people have sold these things and said that!) but that does not make it true.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I figure if I can help someone decide on this Clear Choice so here goes:

I used chlorine and bromides for the first year that I had my spa. I ended up spending more time each week cleaning my spa than I did sitting in it. I started regretting that I bought a spa. I figured there had to be something better to clean a spa so I did a web search and found Clear Choice. That was 6 years ago and I haven't looked back. I don't care what the "scientists" on this web site think. This stuff works. I couldn't believe how well it works. I put 12 drops of enzymes in my spa and spray off the filters once a week. This takes all of 5-10 minutes. My water is ALWAYS crystal clear, no smell, no scum and no health problems. You can tell if bacteria is starting to form by rubbing your hand on the side of the inside of the spa while you're in it. If it feels a bit slick (nothing gross) you simply add extra drops and it goes away. Next week I will be changing the water...after one year! It looks exactly the same as the day I filled up the tub. There has been some residual calcium build-up in the pipes, but I use a prep prior to each tub refill to get that stuff out (not a hard calcium; soft). I wonder why Home Depot and other stores don't carry this stuff. I turned on two other spa users to it. They also have been using it for years w/o a problem. Don't know how it works; it just does. Use it, you won't regret it and if you don't like it, simply switch back.

Bottom line is this. It is NOT an EPA approved sanitizer so it is NOT a recommended primary sanitizer! Biomediation is useful for breaking down an oil spill but I certainly would not trust it to quickly kill water borne bacterial and viruses. Just because water looks clear does not mean it is pathogen free and safe.

• 4 years later...

I purchased Clear Choice about 6 weeks ago and followed their instructions to the t;  this is an absolute hox!!   It does not work.  I haven’t been able to use my spa since I started using Clear Choice.  I switch from the normal Spa treatment because my wife wanted to try something natural;  big mistake, at least with Clear Choice.  Haven’t tried any of the other brands, switching back to the normal treatment today, 3/20/2018.  Clear Choice send details instructions on how to switch over and a long list of things to do if your water quality degrades.  My Spa had every issue they listed which tells me that they know is junk.  I spent $150.00 and 300 gallons of water to try Clear Choice and I was severely let down.  Let me repeat my self, Clear Choice does not work, don’t waste your money or time.  Hope this post save someone else from the gimmick I fell for. 

Signed

Former Clear Choice User

• 2 years later...

Hello former Clear Choice user, I recently purchased $155 worth of their products. Followed their instructions to a T and I have red sludge and black mold in my spa. I did a water change and started over like they recommended and I still have red sledge and black mold. when I called to let them know it’s not working there’s a very irritated man that answered the phone and is condescending and rude like I am inept and that’s why it’s not working. Did you have this experience, did they ever refund your money? Is there anyone else that works there besides the angry man?

• 4 weeks later...

I am 4 weeks into trying clear choice.

So far so good.

I had no problem with the chlorine method I just know chlorine is not good for living things and with clear choice I can still use a little chlorine if the water gets "off"

It was a little foamy and gross the week of flush.

Now all has been great.

It is used every day.

The water is clear and does not smell like chlorine or sour water.

Sanitized is not a good thing most of the time. It is not healthy to be sanitized.

No bacteria = no life

Bottom line 4 weeks and it has been better for me than traditional methods.

• 2 years later...

I have been using clear choice hot tub treatments for the last 2 and 1/2 years. Our hot tub is primarily used by me and occasionally by my husband. I love it! I got it because I was sick and tired of boiling in chlorine and bromide which are horribly unhealthy for your skin, your body, and your lungs. I was looking for something that wouldn't dry my skin out. I haven't had any problems and only change my 490 gallon hot tub every 3 months usually after relatives visit and are in and out of it without taking showers and wearing bathing suits loaded with conditioners and laundry detergents. They also seem to always come right at the 3-month cycle which is hard on the hot tub but encourages me to clean it. I put a few drops in as instructed once a week and clean the filter. That's it! I'll never go back to chemicals again.